• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

With that storm coming up the coast, Sunday evening definitely looks like an oxford shirt with slacks kind of day.  Might even go to bed early so I can get my eight hours of sleep.

(Definitely wanted to work slacks into the conversation and stay on topic, though I'm not sure what the topic is at this point.)

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think that red oak got its name due to its heartwood color when freshly cut.  Most of them, including the ones here, offer auburn brown at best.  For reds from oak, the planted pin oaks in Farmington (they're not native to this area) are the best.  They color late, when the native hardwoods (except aspen) are sticks.

I might have ID'd the oak wrong....I will have to take a closer look. I swear this oak hasn't produced any acorns since we have lived here. Our 1 pin oak has plenty

Just came back from a walk, I have Jeans on and have had them on for 3 weeks up here.

Current conditions at

Auburn-Lewiston (KLEW)

Lat: 44.05°NLon: 70.28°WElev: 289ft.
sct.png

Fair

47°F

8°C

Humidity 63%
Wind Speed SW 12 mph
Barometer 29.90 in (1013.3 mb)
Dewpoint 35°F (2°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Wind Chill 42°F (6°C)
Last update 20 Oct 9:56 am EDT

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Dry run for christmas day when it will be in the 20's and 30's in Tallahassee while it is 65 and humid in boston

The irony of TLH having their earliest sub-32F on record and earliest 32F of any kind since 1977 when 10/18/77 hit 32F there, is that 1977 is the year with the latest freeze on record at ORH (November 12, 1977).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Lol I don't wear skinny jeans.  It's just that there's always a time during the day you need to wear pants because you're doing something that requires it like weed whacking, mowing the lawn, carpentry,  ATV riding.  If the day is hitting the golf course or pool party drinking Bud Select, then fine. 

Weed whacking and mowing in jeans or pants? Wouldn’t even consider it. That’s a hot , summer job. Shorts required . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Weed whacking in jeans or pants? Wouldn’t even consider it. That’s a hot , summer job. Shorts required 

i wear jeans when using my trimmer if only to keep the poison ivy at bay. jeans come off as soon as i am done though

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The irony of TLH having their earliest sub-32F on record and earliest 32F of any kind since 1977 when 10/18/77 hit 32F there, is that 1977 is the year with the latest freeze on record at ORH (November 12, 1977).

Do you know of any books that have chronicled Worcester's weather history? 

10 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i wear jeans when using my trimmer if only to keep the poison ivy at bay. jeans come off as soon as i am done though

I sometimes go shorts and then wear crew socks for extra coverage, because I get bad poison ivy as well. if I'm really scared of it I'll just wear sweats if it's early enough. Then it's straight to the shower with Tecnu Extreme 

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Do you know of any books that have chronicled Worcester's weather history? 

No I am not aware....though maybe one exists. I have many books on individual weather events such as the Worcester tornado and huge storms (like Feb '78).

Maybe I'll write a Worcester weather book when I am older and retired one day. :lol:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

No I am not aware....though maybe one exists. I have many books on individual weather events such as the Worcester tornado and huge storms (like Feb '78).

Maybe I'll write a Worcester weather book when I am older and retired one day. :lol:

I was gonna say...that is all you.

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Wow. Busy day.  What order do these events occur on a daily basis?

I have allergies, and get my legs scratched from high grass, or whatever, but I refuse to wear long pants when doing lawn stuff in the heat. 

I generally wear shorts doing that stuff to but I can see long pants when hiking for tick defense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Are you familiar with the book So Cold A Sky?  It is a weather history book of the Michigan UP.  The format of the book would be ideal for a SNE and/or Worcester weather history book.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You should!  It's quite easy to self-publish these days - especially if you're not looking to make a living at it.

2 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Are you familiar with the book So Cold A Sky?  It is a weather history book of the Michigan UP.  The format of the book would be ideal for a SNE and/or Worcester weather history book.

I am not....just looked it up and found it on Amazon though and it does seem like a good template. Basically an account of a whole bunch of weather events with a lot of accounts from people who experienced them.

1 minute ago, bristolri_wx said:

You should!  It's quite easy to self-publish these days - especially if you're not looking to make a living at it.

Yeah I wouldn't do it to make money. If it makes money, that's a bonus. But I'd do it because I love writing about weather events and I'd want to document a lot of these events before they get forgotten. A lot of past weather events really don't have good historical accounts unless they were absolute top-end events like Feb '78 or Hurricane of '38, Worcester tornado '53, etc. But so many of these semi-large events sort of get relegated to "no memory or historical account" status so it would be nice to have one place to read about them.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I am not....just looked it up and found it on Amazon though and it does seem like a good template. Basically an account of a whole bunch of weather events with a lot of accounts from people who experienced them.

Yeah I wouldn't do it to make money. If it makes money, that's a bonus. But I'd do it because I love writing about weather events and I'd want to document a lot of these events before they get forgotten. A lot of past weather events really don't have good historical accounts unless they were absolute top-end events like Feb '78 or Hurricane of '38, Worcester tornado '53, etc. But so many of these semi-large events sort of get relegated to "no memory or historical account" status so it would be nice to have one place to read about them.

It is a terrific book!  I highly recommend it

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

What’s Ironic too is…we all know how the winter of 77-78 turned out..it was glorious.  

On 10/19/2022 at 9:20 AM, Cold Miser said:

If things happened differently that would still be a golf course.  But, it looks nice as filled in field too.

I only got to play the course once, as we had moved to Brooklyn shortly before it closed.  But I use the range across the street all the time.  I've chatted with the all 3 parties involved in the course/property/restaurant relationship over the years, and it's interesting to hear the different sides to the story.  It would be good to see it stay as a field or go back to farmland at some point.

• Like 1