Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I am a certified sleep expert. 7-8 hours per night is absolutely mandatory. Health wise if you’re not getting that on a daily basis.. you are shortening your life. It’s why I don’t stay up late looking at models or staying up all night for snow . Set alarms and get up when it’s important 

Can you post your credentials?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sleeping through 4 inches per hour on 1/27/11 as a snow weenie is a good enough credential for me. 

Ya that 4” per hr was quite the show…awesome. 

And if one can imagine, Feb 13 was even better than that here though…6” per hour set in about 9-10 pm…per Ryan H. coming on in a special weather update that night.  Hope Kevin was up for that one? 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I am a certified sleep expert. 7-8 hours per night is absolutely mandatory. Health wise if you’re not getting that on a daily basis.. you are shortening your life. It’s why I don’t stay up late looking at models or staying up all night for snow . Set alarms and get up when it’s important 

I work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts drive an hour and 15 minutes each way no time for that :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most of the sleep experts say that standard time should be the permanent one instead of DST. 

Who knows what will happen though. Permanent DST passed the senate but the house never took it up. 

Probably most of you were too young to remember but we tried this once in the 1970s.  Everyone was all for it until the first winter when it was dark so late in the morning.  People hated it and it was repelled quickly and we went back to the way it is now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I can’t imagine loving snow so much, and sleeping through all time events or pre blizzard model runs. 

I mean, you’d think you’d make an exception a few times a year?

I can’t help but check now and then even though I’m up early. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Probably most of you were too young to remember but we tried this once in the 1970s.  Everyone was all for it until the first winter when it was dark so late in the morning.  People hated it and it was repelled quickly and we went back to the way it is now.

I said this few posts back…I remember it because I was in elementary school.  It was abandoned after one year/winter.  See below. 

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

This.

I don’t see it passing.  Elementary kids will be going to school and waiting for buses, and walking in the dark during the late autumn and winter months. And high school and middle school will be doing night school in the morning lol. I don’t think that’s gonna fly when it comes right down to it.  

When I was in elementary school I remember them trying it one year…it was abandoned after one year. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I can’t imagine loving snow so much, and sleeping through all time events or pre blizzard model runs. 

I mean, you’d think you’d make an exception a few times a year?

It’s taking many years off your life to check that 00z ECMWF run.  I’m surprised I’m still alive even in my 30s if getting less than 8 hours on any given night is taking years of life away.  My 20s were made up of more a series of naps than anything else.

32F at 9:30pm.  Chilly evening.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya that 4” per hr was quite the show…awesome. 

And if one can imagine, Feb 13 was even better than that here though…6” per hour set in about 9-10 pm…per Ryan H. coming on in a special weather update that night.  Hope Kevin was up for that one? 

I was awake for both of them. I was up posting right thru it. Will likes to make that up for kicks 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Scott will be battling constant bouts of insomnia like this guy in a few years after staying awake during never ending model runs starting 10 days out. 

Meanwhile, Kevin will be laughing with his 8 hours of sleeping like a baby, and daily 5 mile runs at 4am. 

https://www.unilad.com/community/randy-gardner-sleep-experiment-insomnia-20221019?source=facebookstories&fbclid=IwAR3H_OBFc75DkT6WjURKw-PFi2QEBrOrCOqyZ_Nkureppejz6MAPvCT2EQs

In total, the teen managed to stay awake for 11 days (264 hours), breaking the record at the time and marking an end to the science experiment.

At first, Gardner seemed to have no major effects from the ambitious project, but he later admitted suffering from decades of unbearable insomnia. "I was awful to be around. Everything upset me. It was like a continuation of what I did 50 years ago," he said.

sleep.jpg

Just now, dendrite said:

29.0°

Coldest thus far

I saw 30F from within the safe and warm and cozy confines of my autocarriage this morning, but as I drove up and down the crests and valleys the temp fluctuated a few degrees. 

I don't think those temps were correct though. Seems kind of low from the forecasted 36F that I was suppose to see. 

42 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s been quite an autumn:thumbsup:

Impression it has conjured in me is one that harkens back.  Reminiscent and restoring faith in a normal seasonal progression.  And it’s worth saying it that way. It really is … because from Sandy’s to sans normal foliage season, to early snows, I almost can’t recall a Fall that didn’t have a spectrum oddities to contend with. 

Autumn is naturally going to offer a return to variability … but since ~ 2000  this season has gotten into the habit of exceeding that Rockwellian parody. This year just sensibly touches me like older tradition. It seems observational data tends to support much of this portrait, too. HFD and ORH are -.6 and +.2 respectively. Which for all intents and purposes… ?    normal. Meanwhile, the colors flashed across the landscape perhaps just a week later than 1980 … but of particular notice to me is that species stayed within their color wheel. I got used to saying “…that tree never turns yellow or that one never turned brown.”  And their timing has closer to overlapped. Two mornings here, just now, back to back with frost more convincingly occurring at just about the precise climate signal.   I mean I’m craving warm cider and authentic donuts at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1