Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most of the literature points to more extremes on the whole....but it's not evenly distributed. We will see less extreme cold going forward but more extreme heatwaves, more extreme flooding events (and by precip proxy maybe some more extreme snow events).

The spacial distribution isn't very well-known either. Non-temperature attribution studies are generally some of the least confident in the science.

There are the two key take aways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

At least that arid stretch seems to be over.

Yeah I’m actually cautiously optimistic that means a more active pattern going forward into winter. We typically don’t have long stretches of dryness here. 

I remember we had some really long dry stretches in late summer and early fall 2007 before it seemed to snap and we had that crazy active pattern go right into winter. Fingers crossed for something similar. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Wouldn't CC lead to less extreme weather given weather is a combination of gradients and temperature extremes. 

If the whole world warms then things should be more uniform.

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most of the literature points to more extremes on the whole....but it's not evenly distributed. We will see less extreme cold going forward but more extreme heatwaves, more extreme flooding events (and by precip proxy maybe some more extreme snow events).

The spacial distribution isn't very well-known either. Non-temperature attribution studies are generally some of the least confident in the science.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’m actually cautiously optimistic that means a more active pattern going forward into winter. We typically don’t have long stretches of dryness here. 

I remember we had some really long dry stretches in late summer and early fall 2007 before it seemed to snap and we had that crazy active pattern go right into winter. Fingers crossed for something similar. 

Cosgrove is full steam ahead on your idea....active like '92-'93, '93-'94.

My analogs keep it fairly dry, but I'm not sure I buy that due to all of the water vapor after that volcano.

In the end it can’t be both ways(more extreme and more benign), that’s how you know some are agenda driven lol. 

And 40-50 yrs from now when everything starts to cool…then what???  Lmao.  There have been so many incorrect ideas about this the last 30-40’yrs…its downright laughable. Hard to take anything seriously at all. 

I really don’t care what folks believe or think(to each their own).  All I know is, it’s gonna continue to snow here and get cold here for the next 100 plus years, and that’s all that really matters to me. If we get more extreme events(snow or others that’s cool too) After that it’s anybodys guess. We’ll all be dead and gone…and it won’t matter for us any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

In the end it can’t be both ways(more extreme and more benign), that’s how you know some are agenda driven lol. 

And 40-50 yrs from now when everything starts to cool…then what???  Lmao.  There have been so many incorrect ideas about this the last 30-40’yrs…its downright laughable. Hard to take anything seriously at all. 

I really don’t care what folks believe or think(to each their own).  All I know is, it’s gonna continue to snow here and get cold here for the next 100 plus years, and that’s all that really matters to me. If we get more extreme events(snow or others that’s cool too) After that it’s anybodys guess. We’ll all be dead and gone…and it won’t matter for us any longer. 

Agreed. And to think some people also think the world is round, the "Round Earthers" as we call them. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Wouldn't CC lead to less extreme weather given weather is a combination of gradients and temperature extremes. 

If the whole world warms then things should be more uniform.

The high latitudes are warming fastest, at least in the N. Hemisphere, which does reduce temp gradient.  That's probably overcome by the greater energy in warmer oceans/atmosphere.

Barely got below 50 this morning as clouds/fog hung tough.  Not often will my frost pocket have a morning low about 20° milder than in CT.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha, I was thinking about 2007 the other day....it was a very dry Fall before I sat in my car for over 8 hrs on 93. :lol:  

We had a legit threat like every 3-6 days that winter....save maybe a brief break in the January week-long torch.

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

GFS with not so clean ridging. Sneaky soaker on tap later this weekend?

Yeah the models just don’t wanna relent on that idea with that thing up the coast. 

And it’s not even clear what that is… Mean it starts out as a weakness in the middle levels and then you get this disproportionate trough curvature at the surface-could take on tropical characteristics as we get closer in the modeling time frame. It is getting kind of close in time so maybe it’s just a big inverted trough/warm frontal hybrid.

Either way it’s acting like an inverted block? That’s when the high can’t settle south of the latitude flow so you end up with an East wind blowing into the ridge and we get screwed for a nice warm weather which I would rather have frankly. I don’t want it to be like 48 to 56 with rain mist and fog … I’d rather have it be 72 to 76 which is what that ridge would otherwise couch in the absence of that piece of shit lol 

Good thing I’m not God because it would be 90° until November 15 and then it would be 20° under 10 feet of snow until March 15

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had a legit threat like every 3-6 days that winter....save maybe a brief break in the January week-long torch.

i had 28 "events" between 12/1 and 4/4 that winter, only 2 of them (10" and 12") were > 8". with 116" total. not sure what my max depth was, but i don't think it was anything special.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It sort of was a let down near and south of the pike later in January onward. I probably could have smoked a cigarette and have been happy getting that big storm that the Cape got in January 2008, but that was a whiff.

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah the models just don’t wanna relent on that idea with that thing up the coast. 

And it’s not even clear what that is… Mean it starts out as a weakness in the middle levels and then you get this disproportionate trough curvature at the surface-could take on tropical characteristics as we get closer in the modeling time frame. It is getting kind of close in time so maybe it’s just a big inverted trough/warm frontal hybrid.

Either way it’s acting like an inverted block? That’s when the high can’t settle south of the latitude flow so you end up with an East wind blowing into the ridge and we get screwed for a nice warm weather which I would rather have frankly. I don’t want it to be like 48 to 56 with rain mist and fog … I’d rather have it be 72 to 76 which is what that ridge would otherwise couch in the absence of that piece of shit lol 

Good thing I’m not God because it would be 90° until November 15 and then it would be 20° under 10 feet of snow until March 15

Part of me is glad you're not god, yet part of me wants you anointed ASAP.

Hopefully this trend keeps up into winter, like Will said. You would think that something has to give with all of the water vapor in the air/very warm hemispheric SSTs coupled with how dry it was this past summer. There is so much latent energy both at the surface and in the atmosphere; lets light some damn matches-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It sort of was a let down near and south of the pike later in January onward. I probably could have smoked a cigarette and have been happy getting that big storm that the Cape got in January 2008, but that was a whiff.

I would happily sign up for that winter where I am...probably pulled like 85" with a near 30" pack in December.

• Like 1