Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The storm featured the sharpest rain/snow line I have ever seen. The line was about 1/4 of a mile from my house. On one side of the line it was heavy rain, other side of the line heavy snow.  Within 50-100 yards it went from bare ground to 2 inches of snow on the ground. Thankfully the rain/snow line continued to make progress.

I heard the same from a coworker. Driving up rt 3 N near Chelmsford...it was just as you described. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Weeklies still suggest 2nd half of November could be interesting. 

A lot of seasonal models have liked November to be pretty cold too....my hope is that it is skewed toward 2nd half of November and carries over into December.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Were you on campus resident when you were there or did you commute?

because those bourgeois hall I think was the name of it and the other one and Fox Tower. They emptied out onto the commons and streets for WWIII massive snowball fight… I mean we were establishing factions and moving squadrons of troops into strategic geodesic boundaries.  Lol. F awesomest SBF ever …

but then the fervor would turned to shivers As those first three or 4 inches that came on really quick started to freeze harder the temperature was crashing to the upper 20s in the snow is starting to go sideways it was taken on that butter scotch nocturnal night glowing blizzard look outside.  Snowball fight over.  

I want to say 15 inches by dawn and maybe another 3 inches during the day, and then it was kind of down to just that blowing light snow that doesn’t really accumulate that following night. 

I commuted...most of my classes were on south campus. 2004-2008.

25 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

That is a novel I would enjoy reading!

I've actually thought about converting that into a short story... I lost the original I wrote back in like 2004 or 2005 when Eastern was in it's earlier hay-days...  Then I rewrote it from memory a couple of times since ... These latter reprisals seemed to get the rabble roused enough, despite my personal feeling that the first version back whence was the better of all.

See... when you write from the heart, it's so much better than calculating turn of phrases for scientific dictum.  Although - I used to get praises back in the day when people seemed to really like reading 10 page dissertations hahaha...  Then, scientists discovered "tl;dr" and well...

No but sometimes truth is better than fiction and that accounting of that scene from the 10th floor of Fox Tower, peering out across the expanse of the Merrimack River to the other side of the valley as the sky fell to earth in shock snow transition to near white out in < 30 seconds flat, immediately on the heels of some kind of massive positive CG the pulses of which vibrated the structure to it's girders...  while wind swayed the building ... was literally ( not figurative) truth.

And, basically... sensory overload. 

No Ray, the Christine diatribe came out at a separate occasion but it was around the same time in life that I indeed met satan yeah.... thanks for bringing that up.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've actually thought about converting that into a short story... I lost the original I wrote back in like 2004 or 2005 when Eastern was in it's earlier hay-days...  Then I rewrote it from memory a couple of times since ... These latter reprisals seemed to get the rabble roused enough, despite my personal feeling that the first version back whence was the better of all.

See... when you write from the heart, it's so much better than calculating turn of phrases for scientific dictum.  Although - I used to get praises back in the day when people seemed to really like reading 10 page dissertations hahaha...  Then, scientists discovered "tl;dr" and well...

No but sometimes truth is better than fiction and that accounting of that scene from the 10th floor of Fox Tower, peering out across the expanse of the Merrimack River to the other side of the valley as the sky fell to earth in shock snow transition to near white out in < 30 seconds flat, immediately on the heels of some kind of massive positive CG the pulses of which vibrated the structure to it's girders...  while wind swayed the building ... was literally ( not figurative) truth.

And, basically... sensory overload. 

No Ray, the Christine diatribe came out at a separate occasion but it was around the same time in life that I indeed met satan yeah.... thanks for bringing that up.

LOL We all have our demons, John. I probably lead the pack.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I commuted...most of my classes were on south campus. 2004-2008.

I knew I predated you up there by a stretch but I was just asking in case you knew the setting. 

You know, I just think the weather was more interesting in the 1990s. We had that greatest hurricane season ever recorded, after the greatest heatwave ever recorded in the midwest... that all led the highest seasonal snow total ever recorded, all inside of Pinatubo winters in general...  all within 5 years really... Then, we had that weirdly fetish horny 1996-1997 year with the December freaks followed by that 33" April b-j...     

I don't know.  The aughts were very good for canes and winters too. But, that 90s all happened over a span of 5 years...  not spread out over the last 20. 

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I knew I predated you up there by a stretch but I was just asking in case you knew the setting. 

You know, I just think the weather was more interesting in the 1990s. We had that greatest hurricane season ever record, the highest seasonal snow total ever recorded, and Pinatubo winter in general...  all within 5 years really... Then, we had that weirdly fetish horny 1996-1997 year with the December freaks followed by that 33" April b-j...     

I don't know.  The aughts were very good for canes and winters too. But, that all happened over a span of 5 years...  not spread out over the last 20. 

1995 is one of my favorite years....man, that cane season followed by the best winter ever. I know most were fish, but at 14 years old, I just tracked those things all summer long. It was a great escape for an adolescent with social struggles. 

• Like 1

That 92’Nor’easter event was one that got me hooked on weather 

After that ...My friends  in High school would come over and they knew what channel was going to be on in the background ...

What a crap location I grew up in for big snows relative to the potential and nuiances nearby (just W And N of me was often the coastal front boundary (Norton to Brockton) , I was far SE enough to be porked by Rain and not close enough to enjoy any S Shore “circle jerk” snow enhancement . 

I think April 97’ was one of the few biggies I wasn’t bent over in 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

1995 is one of my favorite years....man, that cane season followed by the best winter ever. I know most were fish, but at 14 years old, I just tracked those things all summer long. It was a great escape for an adolescent with social struggles. 

Me too. I remember every tropical update that summer. Hurricane Allison and Hurricane Erin were two of my favorites and then it felt like we were tracking Felix for an eternity as it teased the east coast a couple times before recurving. Hell I even remember some of he useless pacific hurricanes that formed off western Mexico and went to nowhere. 

Then you had threats way into October with Hurricane Opal…and by the time you were done with that, the snows started two weeks later in early November and we weren’t taking a Gatorade break until late April. It was like being a little kid in ToysRUS where your attention span never had a chance to suffer boredom. 

If the booms and busts of the late 80s/early 90s cemented me as a wx weenie, June 1995-April 1996 made me downright obsessed with weather. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think 1995 was the last time every fall/winter month was below normal 

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I went to work in Agawam the next day and no one at work believed what we had in Southern Worcester County till I showed them the pics I took. The ground was bare in Springfield/Agawam.

That was the first weather event that started making me aware that CT River valley didn’t do nearly as well for snow. At my young age, I assumed the snow always just got better the further west you went. Then when I was skiing at wachusett later that same winter after the March ‘93 superstorm, I was sharing a chair lift with this woman from Springfield and she kept commenting that she couldn’t believe how much snow Worcester had all winter including that storm compared to Springfield. Once we had that convo, I was fully aware of the river shadow.