Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

looks like max gusts were between 40-60mph right along the the coast/Essex/Cape. Most of these occurred in the past few hours. It was mildly interesting for a bit this morning, but definitely not memorable. Just another storm

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS

Near 50-60 in cstl PYM county too where the LLJ was strongest towards the Cape. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Do you think that might’ve been a little bit of terrain enhanced?

The wind trajectories were sort of SSE pretty much thru the 700 mbar. Maybe not appreciably strong but that was a pretty high pwat air mass being humped over the terrain. Ha Kind of gross but where it humps it dumps

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Probably.  If you look at the CoCoRaHS reports, you can see the highest totals are clustered around the mountains.

Yeah there’s likely some of that with the decent wind flow and high PWATs… but the highest totals being on both the east (Waterbury, Stowe, Morrisville, et) and west slopes (Underhill to Montgomery) makes me think the boundary just stalled and waffled in this area too.  Or the flow was just right in a critical Froude number to evenly distribute rainfall on both sides of the barrier.

Last night on radar the line of convection sort of stalled and then got run over by slug after slug of moisture training over it.  It almost went east of here but then backed up westward again into the Spine.

Always some orographics in play but I think synoptically it was just where than boundary stalled.  It’s still over the region now as that meso-low moves up in E. NE. It’s finally moving east again as the low reaches our latitude and tugs it again.

I feel like the Whites had a more orographically induced rainfall with that southerly flow jamming moisture into them.

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

which is pretty respectable. ended up not being much of a bust from a wind perspective here. perhaps for those who thought the LLJ would be further west

It got maybe near 45 here, and some larger dead branches broke (which is nice because I was going to trim those :) ) but nothing crazy.

1 minute ago, rimetree said:

Absolute mayhem just blew through here. Hard to believe I didn’t see a tree keel over in that cell. Up to 2.5 inches of rain for the day

Last night was very mehh... 

But the wind was always set to come at the end, which is showing up nicely.

43 kts sustained headed up to Portland ME.

NDBC - Station IOSN3 Recent Data (noaa.gov)

• Like 1

Yeah this  part of interior northeastern mass rarely experiences meaningful wind in a southerly gale scenario - or results least.   

Nashoba “Valley“  so much of it glides right over the top the friction inversion. 

Despite being in the low 60s ( one might think at this time of year that would be warm enough to mix ) all night there wasn’t one audible gust over the rooftops.  

• Like 1

In an unrelated observation I don’t think I’ve ever seen my lawn look this beautifully green and pure in essence of that particular color tone in the 10 years I’ve been associated to this property – and that’s amazing considering two months ago in the height if all the drought futility