Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

49 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Growing season may be largely done, but we will continue issuing for those zones until 10/21. I forget what we decided on, but it's something like a week or two weeks past the median first freeze date. 

When I issued those advisories last night it was still a little early to be super confident in low temps so I left them out. Interior Rockingham can radiate, but MHT/ASH corridor and PSM don't really do great on these kinds of nights. ASH can go a few degrees colder than MHT though.

Still haven't been under 40 here but maybe get to 38-39 tonight. I sometimes wonder if being between Great Bay and the ocean keeps our nights warmer this time of year.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Growing season may be largely done, but we will continue issuing for those zones until 10/21. I forget what we decided on, but it's something like a week or two weeks past the median first freeze date. 

When I issued those advisories last night it was still a little early to be super confident in low temps so I left them out. Interior Rockingham can radiate, but MHT/ASH corridor and PSM don't really do great on these kinds of nights. ASH can go a few degrees colder than MHT though.

Already down to 33.0°F, Heavy frost on the tonneau cover on the duramax.

IMG_1320.jpg

• Like 4

Down to 40F here now.  Probably end up around 36F for the low.  Previous low has been 46F on a couple of occasions.

I've noticed for quite a while now that this new GFS has a warm bias, overstating highs and lows much of the time and not just by 1 or 2 degrees..

For example, tonight's 18z GFS shows a 06z temp here of 43F.  By then we will be at 38-39F.  And the 12z GFS showed a 18z temp here of 60F.  The high for the day here was 56F.

Perhaps the close proximity to Boston and the ocean is causing this bias, I just don't know.  But I'm sure radiational cooling plays havoc with the temp modeling.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It happens every fall. And where it hits 32 in those low lying nooks and crannies.. a frost is a frost. But a true early season cold snap freezes the high elevations . I won’t get below 38

Do you ever get frosts? Like sure you get below freezing, but do you wake up to hard white frozen grass?

Frosts aren’t really a hill top thing…that condensing, temp meets dew point at 100% RH is not something the mid-slopes up here see at night very often at any time of year. The atmosphere is mixed and can’t stay calm long enough to condense.

The whole idea of a frost advisory is to protect growing vegetation… and historically agriculture is more of a valley thing where frosts happen.

To be honest, as weird as it is there’s probably an elevation around my area at like 1700ft that’s the absolute last place to see 32F or lower temperatures.  It freezes on the upper mountain in CAA, and then at night it’ll freeze from 1500ft and down.  But there’s absolutely a mid-slope zone that’s the last place to hit 32F on the year. That’s probably like your spot.  Isn’t high enough to get into the sub-freezing zone aloft during early season cold shots, and also won’t radiate during those early season troughs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rimetree said:

Still haven't been under 40 here but maybe get to 38-39 tonight. I sometimes wonder if being between Great Bay and the ocean keeps our nights warmer this time of year.

That whole area is 30-35 without an advisory. I know ocean st wasn’t on shift :lol:

19E2F03A-F5B6-4158-AD76-C04B3B1720FD.png

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Do you ever get frosts? Like sure you get below freezing, but do you wake up to hard white frozen grass?

Frosts aren’t really a hill top thing…that condensing, temp meets dew point at 100% RH is not something the mid-slopes up here see at night very often at any time of year. The atmosphere is mixed and can’t stay calm long enough to condense.

The whole idea of a frost advisory is to protect growing vegetation… and historically agriculture is more of a valley thing where frosts happen.

To be honest, as weird as it is there’s probably an elevation around my area at like 1700ft that’s the absolute last place to see 32F or lower temperatures.  It freezes on the upper mountain in CAA, and then at night it’ll freeze from 1500ft and down.  But there’s absolutely a mid-slope zone that’s the last place to hit 32F on the year. That’s probably like your spot.  Isn’t high enough to get into the sub-freezing zone aloft during early season cold shots, and also won’t radiate during those early season troughs.

Never frosts in the fall. Usually go straight to freeze. But I can guarantee lower down on the green at 615’ has a heavy frost. I’m at 37.5 and they’re at 33.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Tough when you come in at midnight. Nobody is going out to save their tomatoes then.

Yeah was just wondering the reason earlier as Rockingham county  can get chilly.  Nothing really too fragile that isn’t dying already this time of year.