Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yup..agree 100%. 

I was trying to explain to him on Twitter like a month or two ago that most weather fans were rooting for a hurricane strike in the northeast...he offered the most naïve, generically politically correct response as only he can...."well, they must not own anything". I was just shaking my head and said "I think you'd be surprised",  and just left it at that. He didn't replay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was trying to explain to him on Twitter like a month or two ago that most weather fans were rooting for a hurricane strike in the northeast...he offered the most naïve, generically politically correct response as only he can...."well, they must not own anything". I was just shaking my head and said "I think you'd be surprised",  and just left it at that. He didn't replay.

He’s bought and paid for…afraid he might upset somebody. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

TBH, I would probably do the same thing if I were in his shoes...you just have to when you're in a highly visible position like that. Just sucks society is like that today.

I would tend to agree. Many controversies have started by unintended statements without context made on Twitter that are amplified to hell in the echo-chamber of the Internet . His job isn’t to generate controversy. I’m sure if you were having some beers with him at a bar, the conversation would be different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I would tend to agree. Many controversies have started by unintended statements without context made on Twitter that are amplified to hell in the echo-chamber of the Internet . His job isn’t to generate controversy. I’m sure if you were having some beers with him at a bar, the conversation would be different.

I agree to an extent, but I really don't think he is a fan of winter.....you can tell. He doesn't have the sick smirk when a big one is on the way like Harv and some others do. You know a weenie when you see one and he doesn't pass the smell test. That said, I am sure he wouldn't be such a dork in person at a bar.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree to an extent, but I really don't think he is a fan of winter.....you can tell. He doesn't have the sick smirk when a big one is on the way like Harv and some others do. You know a weenie when you see one and he doesn't pass the smell test. That said, I am sure he wouldn't be such a dork in person at a bar.

I've had a beer with him. He's a good guy and I think a good forecaster too. It's tough in the TV position....I'm sure even Ryan would agree you have to be careful about what you say. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've had a beer with him. He's a good guy and I think a good forecaster too. It's tough in the TV position....I'm sure even Ryan would agree you have to be careful about what you say. 

I'm sure, and I agree its tough today. Its a lot different than even 15 years ago.

56 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yeah it’s likely he just doesn’t like winter and it really has nothing to do with culture. I mean we’ve seen it on this forum… how many on here hated heat, warmth, etc 10-15 years ago and now embrace it? Even folks who like big snowstorms on here saying they don’t know if they enjoy winter because it’s months of dark dreary weather hoping you get a big one. 

His personal preferences might have changed a bit too since he got in the field.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

He wrote a whole book on storms in New England.  There is a weenie in there. He can't go on the air (or on Twitter) amping up Ian hoping for big damage...   but he definately has a warm weather bias.

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a warm bias...the guy hates winter.

I hope that isn't what our generation of mets is like in this cancel culture we are in.....makes we want to violently vomit.

Not sure why he moved back to Boston after being in Atlanta, if he hates winter so much.  Sigh. 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm really not impressed with him. He's been touting a strong la nina all fall...seems to be fond of clicks and follows.

That's how most of Twitter (and social media is). I mean there are some excellent folks on Twitter but for the most part, everyone has their own agenda for click bait, re-tweets, and followers. 

For winter...its just find the model showing the most snow or some model which shows a "favorable pattern"

For tropical its some D10+ solution showing a hurricane riding up the EC

For severe its just posting hodographs and updraft helicity 

and using these graphics solely to make a forecast. 

I also can't stand the people that will post some D10+ solution and say, "This isn't a forecast and this isn't going to happen but here's what the ____ model shows at D12"...WHY POST IT????? FOR WHAT REASON? I'll tell you the reason, clicks, re-tweets, followers, likes.