Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

19 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

73F. Does this qualify as Indian summer? Just looked back over the last 4yrs and we don't frost or freeze until after the 15th and coldest in any of those yrs was 30F.

Fryeburg fair must be doing well this week with mostly good wx.

The term "Indian Summer" dates back to the late 1700's but no one knows for certain how the term came to be.   It is generally considered to be a period of warm weather after the first frost.  As we both know on- air mets would often use the term Indian summer but that is no longer the case. 

6 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The term "Indian Summer" dates back to the late 1700's but no one knows for certain how the term came to be.   It is generally considered to be a period of warm weather after the first frost.  As we both know on- air mets would often use the term Indian summer but that is no longer the case. 

Just too dam sad some peeps feel the need to cancel things…downright pathetic. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

33 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Just too dam sad some peeps feel the need to cancel things…downright pathetic. 

I still hear warm fall periods referred to as Indian Summer by mets... I use all the time during warm fall periods in my daily updates to my clients... Have never been approached about it having a negative connotation.  You might be confusing the Columbus Day issue, which has been a sticking point in some areas given Columbus writings stating his thoughts about indians being the perfect slave, and/or being easily slaughtered.

Getting back to Indian Summer, the research I've seen references the fact the local natives indicated to settlers that there was time for more harvesting after the initial cold of early fall since it was often followed by a warm period(s); thus Indian Summer.  Indians were aware of this tendency to see warm periods after early fall cold.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, FXWX said:

I still hear warm fall periods referred to as Indian Summer by mets... I use all the time during warm fall periods in my daily updates to my clients... Have never been approached about it having a negative connotation.  You might be confusing the Columbus Day issue, which has been a sticking point in some areas given Columbus writings stating his thoughts about indians being the perfect slave, and/or being easily slaughtered.

Getting back to Indian Summer, the research I've seen references the fact the local natives indicated to settlers that there was time for more harvesting after the initial cold of early fall since it was often followed by a warm period(s); thus Indian Summer.  Indians were aware of this tendency to see warm periods after early fall cold.

You should post more.  Logic and reasoning is an underrated human trait.

75/43 currently up here. Glorious.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Exactly. There was never a derogatory meaning or connotation behind it. 

4 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Jerry coined the term.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dryslot said:

Customer of mine does the fair circuit, He was in again last week and was picking up product for the Fryeburg Fair, He just got done the one in Cumberland and told me in the 30yrs he has been doing fairs, The Cumberland Fair 2022 was the best one in those 30 yrs with attendance avg 20-25,000/day from 09/25-10/01.

I’ve never been to Fryeburg Fair but I’ve always wanted to go. Unfortunately I’ve been working the grass drags the last few years and that’s the same weekend. One year I’ll get there. 

• Like 4

Time for fantasy land snows… :weenie:

All weenie fodder aside, a steady diet of troughs moving through in the long range is the pattern for early season snows as we go into late October.  Just keep the troughs of sub-0C 850 air coming and the mountains/hills might get lucky at some point if something can dig/amplify a bit.

2DC1B746-61A0-43FC-BA77-B1387E4994B8.thumb.png.f7f0071f359a37dedf8a56c258504264.png

Some H6-H7 mid-level Magic punching the DGZ. Some good soundings around to remind you winter is coming.

19DFB5DF-87A3-44AC-91BB-92B48B742EE3.thumb.png.3f53a410e5a3995b6b2c90dc19f77d4b.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

All weenie fodder aside, a steady diet of troughs moving through in the long range is the pattern for early season snows as we go into late October.  Just keep the troughs of sub-0C 850 air coming and the mountains/hills might get lucky at some point if something can dig/amplify a bit.

2DC1B746-61A0-43FC-BA77-B1387E4994B8.thumb.png.f7f0071f359a37dedf8a56c258504264.png

Some H6-H7 mid-level Magic punching the DGZ. Some good soundings around to remind you winter is coming.

19DFB5DF-87A3-44AC-91BB-92B48B742EE3.thumb.png.3f53a410e5a3995b6b2c90dc19f77d4b.png

That would be fun, since I'm helping chaperone, a Boy Scout camp trip to Upstate NY.   Nothing like snow camping. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Everyone likes a good October snow!