Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Avg date of first frost is 10/13 here, We already have had 5 and 2 freezes and looks like 3 more upcoming in the next 5 days.

Five?  That's one more than here, which is surprising.  We had frosts on 9/30 and 10/3-5 (mid-20s freezes on 3,4) plus the 33° morning with frozen dew on the car roof, 9/17.

Our average and median for first frost is 9/18 and average frost-free period is 117 days, median only 113 due to extra-long ff days in 2011 and last year, 156 and 163 days, respectively.  This year's 133 was 3rd longest.  Shortest was 88 days in 2002, thanks to both a 6/4 frost and our earliest first frost on 9/1.  The next year it was only 98 days and no others failed to reach triple digits.

Fort Kent was quite different, of course, with the cooler 1976-85 period added to climo.  In 1976 we lived along the St. John and valley fog held off the frost until 9/26 and allowed a frost-free period of 138 days.  Next highest was 110 and the average without '76 is 95 days, and that's ignoring the light frost of 7/1/78.  That year had the shortest ff period at 68 days and including 7/1 it would've been only 44 and would've cut the non-valley average to 92 days.  Average first frost at our in-town home was 9/5 and 3 days later at 970' in the back settlement.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Five?  That's one more than here, which is surprising.  We had frosts on 9/30 and 10/3-5 (mid-20s freezes on 3,4) plus the 33° morning with frozen dew on the car roof, 9/17.

Our average and median for first frost is 9/18 and average frost-free period is 117 days, median only 113 due to extra-long ff days in 2011 and last year, 156 and 163 days, respectively.  This year's 133 was 3rd longest.  Shortest was 88 days in 2002, thanks to both a 6/4 frost and our earliest first frost on 9/1.  The next year it was only 98 days and no others failed to reach triple digits.

What was your low temp so far?, I see you had some 20's, Ive had 2 days in the 20's, 27°F being the low so far.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Today and tomorrow. I could use some low 70s. 

Going to struggle to make it 70 here today it seems, Just checked the home station and its 71°F where we are suppose to be today, The data from KLEW was 1 hour old when i checked it, It was 69°F, Tomorrow looks showery and overcast, So won't do it there, Then its 50's this weekend.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't mind some nice mild wx in October. It's nowhere near ready to snow...so why not. 

I agree, I still have the garden to close this weekend and get the tractor ready for winter, So temp wise it looks good for that plus it being sunny,  I've waited to long a few times and been out in the freezing temps putting the blower on and weights and chains, New tractor this year so its going to be the first time putting on the snow blower plus it has an enclosure i need to put together, So looks like i'll be on youtube to get it figured out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

73F. Does this qualify as Indian summer? Just looked back over the last 4yrs and we don't frost or freeze until after the 15th and coldest in any of those yrs was 30F.

Fryeburg fair must be doing well this week with mostly good wx.

Customer of mine does the fair circuit, He was in again last week and was picking up product for the Fryeburg Fair, He just got done the one in Cumberland and told me in the 30yrs he has been doing fairs, The Cumberland Fair 2022 was the best one in those 30 yrs with attendance avg 20-25,000/day from 09/25-10/01.

• Like 2