Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Drove over to Alex’s neighborhood in NNH… what a beautiful day.

Car had temps in the 60s the whole way with full sunshine.  Car peaked at 68F in Twin Mountain which might be on the high side and HIE showing 66F.

Absolutely gorgeous day in the North Country to peep leaves.

65-70 is perfect.

The TDWR radars were installed in the 1990s in response to the Delta 191 flight that crashed at DFW in 1985 due to low level wind shear from a storm. But the current iteration of what we see I think was from the mid/late 2000s so I think Scott is correct on the rough date of when we started being able to view them on radar sites for reflectivity, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup. why they did away with the old format-

Did the Trump administration hand a mandate down to suck balls?

I want them sued and the Director of technology or whatever, that persons face to be smashed against a monitor until they’re an inch of consciousness. 

Having said that… What is “RadarScope”

I use RadarScope Pro as well, but this is my backup, especially on desktop computer as my RadarScope Pro license doesn’t transfer over at the subscription level I have:

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=BOX-N0Q-1-12

The graphics aren’t great but love the 200 frame view for the price ($0). Worth a try before you buy anything considering your reference point is NWS site.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion for rain tonight in SE NE

“.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/... * Steadier rain overspreads the region tonight, with localized 3 to 4 inches totals possible through tomorrow morning for portions of SE MA. Surface low pressure associated with a vertically stacked upper level low is centered over southern NJ. That upper low will slowly track towards the 70W/40N benchmark, bringing a period of steadier rain to much of our area. There will be a rather sharp gradient between areas with generally 0.25 to 0.5 inches of rain and areas that receive 1 to 3 inches of rain. The latter areas appear to be mainly across eastern MA, and especially southeast MA including Plymouth county and the Cape Cod Canal. This is where the nose of the mid-level dry slot and low-level jet is, and local research has shown that rainfall amounts tend to overperform due to the jet dynamics. In addition, the Trough of Warm Air Aloft (TROWAL) will help to further boost rainfall rates and even lead to elevated convection or a few rumbles of thunder overnight. Upon coordination with WPC, have used the HREF Probability Matched Mean (PMM) product to boost rainfall towards the 90th percentile of guidance for overnight tonight into Wednesday morning.”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice, that's what I thought. 

Best view in New England off that back deck . Stowe Spruce peak is second to me as you drive toward mountain and sun hits the white landscape Of the spine .

I would argue best view from the slopes is 100% from top of slopes at wildcat  across to Mount Washington on a sunny day .

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Best view in New England off that back deck . Stowe Spruce peak is second to me as you drive toward mountain and sun hits the white landscape Of the spine .

I would argue best view from the slopes is 100% from top of slopes at wildcat  across to Mount Washington on a sunny day .

I think it's the best skiing in NH when conditions are decent.

• Like 2

Ugh, KBOX radar being down tonight kind of bit me in the a$$ tonight. Was trying to pick a time in between rain showers to walk the dog. Went out and immediately got caught in a downpour despite no echoes overhead (checked a few times). Dog definitely was not happy with me.  Will assume it’s a beam angle, or distance issue with the showery nature of this storm.

Irony… my dogs name is Radar. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2