Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm pretty sure it was rain ending as snow?

Probably right...my memory is thrashed. I just remember dodging piles of slush out in the courtyard freshman year.

I remember the thaw started a little earlier near the coast....the last event managed to be mainly a snower where I was, but it was rain in Boston...then the next one opened the floodgates.

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think it was like 11/4/95 that we had a mixed bag leave some slush on the ground, and then it was off to the races from there, right through the holidays....never let up until that mega thaw in mid Jan.

That flooding mega thaw the weekend after the blizzard was a buzzkill. I thought the pack would stick around until April back then. Little did I know my CNJ climo would not allow it. Still, a historically memorable winter that hopefully can be replicated again. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Probably right...my memory is thrashed. I just remember dodging piles of slush out in the courtyard freshman year.

I remember the thaw started a little earlier near the coast....the last event managed to be mainly a snower where I was, but it was rain in Boston...then the next one opened the floodgates.

That event sucked. Terrible. I had an inch of slush and then rain. 

After feeling defeated about the impending KU from NYC south...the one memory I do have was Barbara Conrad (remember her?) on Ch 56 reading what I now know as the FOUS numbers for the ETA back then and was like.."Oh wow looks like this storm is going to impact the Boston area.." 

After years of frustration from Dec 92, the inv trough burying Chatham in 1993, the Feb 1994 CJ which I just missed by 8 miles...finally broke the 2' cherry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think it was like 11/4/95 that we had a mixed bag leave some slush on the ground, and then it was off to the races from there, right through the holidays....never let up until that mega thaw in mid Jan.

First measurable that year was 11/13 i think...maybe half an inch to an inch. It was like 2 days before the monster nor' easter that buried BGM/IPT.

Then 11/29 was the system that started the continuous pack.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

First measurable that year was 11/13 i think...maybe half an inch to an inch. It was like 2 days before the monster nor' easter that buried BGM/IPT.

I think that was a storm that really wrapped up and if I recall correctly, Baltimore flipped to heavy snow briefly at the end?

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

We can hope.. feeling good about this year being just north of route 2 and just above 1,000

That's pretty much one of the best spots in SNE.   Far enough East to catch coastals but far enough inland to avoid taint plus great elevation.  That's why HubbDave is often one of the SNE snow totals leaders. 

My locale lacks the elevation and is often too far NW for a lot of the coastal storms and re-developers. We know how to do CAD here though!  You'll be watching your 20" pack evaporate on SW winds while I nurse 4" of glacier and sit at 33F for hours.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's pretty much one of the best spots in SNE.   Far enough East to catch coastals but far enough inland to avoid taint plus great elevation.  That's why HubbDave is often one of the SNE snow totals leaders. 

My locale lacks the elevation and is often too far NW for a lot of the coastal storms and re-developers. We know how to do CAD here though!  You'll be watching your 20" pack evaporate on SW winds while I nurse 4" of glacier and sit at 33F for hours.

I used to consider him part of the WOR team but he’s been kicked off. On his own now. 

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think that was a storm that really wrapped up and if I recall correctly, Baltimore flipped to heavy snow briefly at the end?

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1995/us1114.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1995/us1115.php

We actually had a period of snow on the front end of that one in ORH, but it only lasted about an hour or two and got a few tenths. Then it was just a howling cold rainstorm. I was jealous watching TWC and seeing central PA up to central NY get buried.

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yea, my days as a booze bag put a nice dent in the memory lol

Thanks.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1995/us1114.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1995/us1115.php

We actually had a period of snow on the front end of that one in ORH, but it only lasted about an hour or two and got a few tenths. Then it was just a howling cold rainstorm. I was jealous watching TWC and seeing central PA up to central NY get buried.

Yeah I took a look at that too. I think that may have been it...not sure why I randomly remember that storm. :lol:  

For old time sake, I took a look at the Schwoegler backlash storm in December. RIP to a great met. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That flooding mega thaw the weekend after the blizzard was a buzzkill. I thought the pack would stick around until April back then. Little did I know my CNJ climo would not allow it. Still, a historically memorable winter that hopefully can be replicated again. 

Farmington co-op whiffed on the KU but the 10" dump on Jan 13 brought the pack to 40".  Three rainy thaws later, there was only 8" left by Jan 28.  Their records date back thru 1893 but they've only recorded snow depth 1940 on, and there's no other January that comes close to 1996's 32" drop.

Edit:  Next biggest January drop was 23" from 1/4/2008 thru the 12th, 34" down to 11".  Unlike 1996 with its 4"+ RA in 3 thaws, 2008 was mostly compaction, with 16" of the decrease coming on Jan 8,9 with little RA (0.12") but highs of 61 and 52.  The other difference is that 1996 pack only got back to 23" (after the 11" storm of 3/8-9) while 2008 peaked at 42" on 3/1 as the SWFEs kept rolling in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

BTW on that video...., if you're really a weenie, you can see Revere...on the "cold" side of the CF with better flakes and less wind vs Scituate which was getting gales on the "warmer" side of the CF.

It also looked like it was dryslotting here - any idea what the final accumlations were? 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was at UML at the time… Which obviously we know is in northeastern part of the state.  Yeah 3 or 4” sleet snow mix actually My parents down in Acton was more like silver slush in patches. -gradient on that little minoring event. That smartly colder and as you intimated… Never turned back enough to melt back to bare ground around the campus.  In fact I think there was another event before Thanksgiving it really sealed the earth under a sarcophagus of cryo- 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was at UML at the time… Which obviously we know is in northeastern part of the state.  Yeah 3 or 4” sleet snow mix actually My parents down in Acton was more like silver slush in patches. -gradient on that little minoring event. That smartly colder and as you intimated… Never turned back enough to melt back to bare ground around the campus.  In fact I think there was another event before Thanksgiving it really sealed the earth under a sarcophagus of cryo- 

Yea, gotta lay that sarcophagus down....right-

Yeah… Despite the meme- sentiment in here for 1995 and so forth… the thermal profile on the Nam looks like Thursday is gonna be a shocker - it may actually get above 75° with light SW wind under still tepidly warm October sun and no clouds. 

For places between New York City and Boston thatve been hung up between 47 and 55 in this April redux … that’s gonna be pretty sweet – Friday too

• Like 1