• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Rtd208

21 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I'm curious if this overperforming warmth will end the negative anomalies in the city too.  On Long Island it looks like it's close to a 0.0 departure now.

JFK will probably come in close to normal perhaps a few tenths of a degree above. LGA, NYC, and EWR will be below normal, though LGA might wind up within 0.5° of normal.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

JFK will probably come in close to normal perhaps a few tenths of a degree above. LGA, NYC, and EWR will be below normal, though LGA might wind up within 0.5° of normal.

Just as you wrote that the sun broke fully through the clouds, Don and the temperatures here are now in the 70s!

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Just as you wrote that the sun broke fully through the clouds, Don and the temperatures here are now in the 70s!

It would be even warmer were there fewer clouds. Up in Quebec, record highs are widespread. Yesterday, Montreal hit 77°, its latest such temperature on record. Through 1 pm, it has a daily record 72° today.

• Thanks 1

72 degrees here right now, and it feels a little muggy with the dewpoint at 65.

As others have pointed out, the long range looks very warm. More 70 degree weather to come in early november. Looks as if I'll be picking tomatoes and peppers for quite awhile since there's no sign of a freeze in the long range. Maybe even into mid november, which would be the longest growing season here that I can remember.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

As others have pointed out, the long range looks very warm. More 70 degree weather to come in early november. Looks as if I'll be picking tomatoes and peppers for quite awhile since there's no sign of a freeze in the long range. Maybe even into mid november, which would be the longest growing season here that I can remember.

Looks warm for a while after this (coolish) weekend. Weeklies (bun me now) flip the script at the end of the month into December. I don’t mind the warmth now if that means we get something more favorable when climo is better for us in December. November 2019 is a perfect example of having a great pattern to early. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We have an energy crisis. The warm weather is good for everyone especially Europe. 

But if you're a winter lover then at least the crappy pattern is happening in November vs when it matters. 

Precisely.  A warm winter for the USA and abroad would be welcome.   A warm snowless winter would be helpful to a lot of people 

6 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

2001 was the longest growing season but this seems to be similar so far.

The record from yesterday was from 2001 too.

8 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Precisely.  A warm winter for the USA and abroad would be welcome.   A warm snowless winter would be helpful to a lot of people 

Meanwhile in the Swiss Alps, which contain 75% of the world's freshwater, the glaciers are projected to be completely gone by 2031.  Scientists there are laying white blankets on the snow there to make it melt at a slower rate.

• Sad 1

Tomorrow will be partly sunny and somewhat cooler. Readings will return to near normal or somewhat below noral levels to end the week. However, more warmth will likely return to start next week.

With the MJO in Phase 6 at a high amplitude and the Arctic Oscillation forecast to be positive for the closing week of the month, the closing week of October could feature above to much above normal temperatures.

November could begin with warmer than normal temperatures.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.8°C for the week centered around October 19. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -1.42°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.83°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through the fall.

The SOI was +0.71 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.558 today.

On October 24 the MJO was in Phase 6 at an amplitude of 1.890 (RMM). The October 23-adjusted amplitude was 1.860 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 90% probability that New York City will have a cooler than normal October (1991-2020 normal). October will likely finish with a mean temperature near 56.9° (1.0° below normal).

Meanwhile in the Swiss Alps, which contain 75% of the world's freshwater, the glaciers are projected to be completely gone by 2031.  Scientists there are laying white blankets on the snow there to make it melt at a slower rate.

While most of this is correct it’s more like .75% of the words fresh water. 75% would be Antarctica.
Looks like the early ski season is going to suck. We need a flip late month.
We can have a cold snowy winter and Europe a warm winter.

• Like 1