• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Rtd208

48 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Drought diminishing - we'll see it in next Thursdays 10/20 post. Here are prelim 1 day CoCoRaHs maps, and a 2 day total from the NYS mesonet. Some spots only 0.4" but many 1-3".

Wantage NJ my Ambient 2.52 but two stratus official CocoRaHs stations 2.39" which I think is more accurate (I am not a CoCoRaHs observer).

I'll get two day totals up around 9A via CoCoRahs.  More coming this coming Monday the 17th. Whether we will see iso 4" two event totals, probably not but still tbd.

Later, Walt

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.30.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.30.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.34.44 AM.png

Walt, got the JFK totals?  The nearest totals to me in those maps were east or north of me, based on that looks like around 1.5" inches here or maybe slightly more.

32 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

on RadarScope I checked the accumulated rainfall IMBY with the KDIX, KOKX, KENX and KBGM and none were even close to the 1.15" I recorded.  As has been stated many time before, those radar accumulation maps are less than accurate for many, if not all, locations. 

Sometimes, but often I think they are much closer to reality than this past event. My guess NWS does too, since they use this info to initiate FFW/FLW's for basins and sub basins. 

35 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Walt, got the JFK totals?  The nearest totals to me in those maps were east or north of me, based on that looks like around 1.5" inches here or maybe slightly more.

JFK 1.22. CP 0.99. Others will contribute more and please click the CoCoRaHs map for more detail.  Will post the two day in 5 min.  Thanks, Walt

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We lucked out in Nassau/W Suffolk in how the second offshore batch of rain came about due north vs more east. According to radar (which might be low) I had about 0.9”. Places east of me clearly had more. 

Yea we had a nice firehouse park in western Suffolk for a 2-3 hours last night, probably 5 miles east of you. Nice training 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

That last map is too vague, it's more than a half inch high where I am. 

I agree: Mesonet is sparsely populated compared to CoCoRaHs... try that.  This event had tow or three big bands. Largest nest the De River, a secondary NJ Coast one into w CT, then something I think e LI.

The next 8 days are averaging  58degs.(52/64) or Normal.

Month to date is  57.6[-3.6].        Should be  57.8[-2.2] by the 22nd.       Going another 8 days on, the average is 62degs.(55/70) or about +6.        This would make us almost Normal for the month, with just a few days to go at that time.

Reached 66 here yesterday.

Today:    66-69, wind n. to nw., clearing skies, 55 tomorrow AM.

54*(90%RH) here at 7am.      56* at 9am.     57* at 10am.       59* at Noon.      61* at 1pm.     64* at 2pm.      66* at 3pm.      67* at 3:30pm.       Reached 70* at 5pm.        64* at 8pm.

0.39 in the bucket here.  Last of the clouds will likely come through the area east in the next 1 to two hours as we dry out.  Gorgeous weekend on tap. sun , dry upper 60s / low 70s.  Monday (10/17)  front comes through doesnt look like much rain.  Chill arrives Tue (10/18) - Thu (10/20) before moderating on Fri (10/22).  Ridge builds into the easy but low my get traped under the ridge and we may be overall warm but could turn wet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Sometimes, but often I think they are much closer to reality than this past event. My guess NWS does too, since they use this info to initiate FFW/FLW's for basins and sub basins. 

I've seen them be closer but I haven't really started looking at them again until recently.  These maps will definitely be on my radar again...

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

on RadarScope I checked the accumulated rainfall IMBY with the KDIX, KOKX, KENX and KBGM and none were even close to the 1.15" I recorded.  As has been stated many time before, those radar accumulation maps are less than accurate for many, if not all, locations. 

We got 2.25" here in NW Suffolk.. The radar accumulation totals were way off. 

• Like 1

The storm gave us 2.25" of rain. 1.23" before midnight and 1.02" afterwards. Radar was showing a continuous line of rain training over our area after midnight. It was a relatively narrow band over Eastern Nassau and Western Suffolk. I know my totals are fairly accurate, because my neighbor has a reporting station and his rainfall total was even slightly higher than mine.

I decided to experiment yesterday with storm forecasting totals. I used 2 weather apps predictions, and combined them with 5 weather models forecasts, whose localised rainfall forecast I got by going to Windy.com, using their map to pinpoint my exact location, and then went through the 5 models they have posted, which will show you the predicted precipitation amount, specifically for your area. These were the 24-hour predicted totals as of 6 PM last night (before our rain began later that hour):

Predicted totals

ECMWF 1.63   GFS 1.02   HRRR 1.03   NAM 0.99   ICON 0.24

And from the apps:

Weather Underground 0.86  Dark Sky 1.73

They were all off by at least a half-inch, some much more than that.

• Like 1

No more moving clocks in the U.S. The measure passed by unanimous consent in the Senate…. This is the closest Congress has ever been to actually making this happen.”Mar 17, 2022 the house has yet to even discuss the bill but i am sure in the lame duck session after the elections it will pass..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

No more moving clocks in the U.S. The measure passed by unanimous consent in the Senate…. This is the closest Congress has ever been to actually making this happen.”Mar 17, 2022 the house has yet to even discuss the bill but i am sure in the lame duck session after the elections it will pass..

Will be interesting to see what happens.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1