• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Rtd208

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

We used to get these cool October days years ago but lately its been in the 80s and 90s with record warm Octobers 

The cool stretch is even more notable given how dry/hot the summer has been.

But it's more of an anomalous cool pocket in an otherwise warm regime.  

I'd much rather have my warm Octobers.  Cold weather right now does nada except add to heating bills without the visual benefit of snow.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The good thing about our climate is that we don’t have a well defined dry season like they do out West. So dry patterns usually resolve on their own. We haven’t had a water emergency in NYC since 2002. Meanwhile, the West has been experiencing more than a 1000 year megadrought over the last 10 to 20 years. Having nearly all months average around 4.00” gives us plenty of opportunities for precipitation here.

2002 had a truly classic summer.  Really hot and very dry.  I have some pictures from that year that show lawns that looked like straw.  90 + heat from that first historic heatwave in April onwards right through September.  Good times!

And of course what made it even more classic was the winter that followed.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

It came in the heart of summer so bad as far as vegetation soaking up the water...the same deficit in fall or winter would not be as extreme with dormant trees/grass

Honestly though a lot of people I know were getting sick and tired of all the wet summers.  The beautiful dry sunny weather was a nice change and reminded me of how summers used to be around here.

I don't have any grass in my Lond Island house, I got rid of that a few years ago and replaced it with a rock garden.  I did get various kinds of plants to plant around the yard; I used my waterhose to water them, no biggie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Like 2 months ago though.   Idc anymore lol.  Now it's just cold and gross out.  

You're not wrong.  Getting something like 1" of rain every other week during the summer is fine, this cold clammy windy crap is awful and it just reminds me I need to insulate my drafty windows.

47 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

Based on my extensive experience(lol) in radar interpretation department, it looks like the western half of LI into NYC proper will have the higher totals.

Not including Central NJ where it's already over half a foot just south of Toms River; that area may end up with double digit totals (of rainfall of course lol).

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Not including Central NJ where it's already over half a foot just south of Toms River; that area may end up with double digit totals (of rainfall of course lol).

Agree. Feel like I’m right on the dividing line, just east of the Sag

• Like 1

Under slate gray skies, a gusty wind, and some periods of light rain, today took on an appearance that more resembled early November than early October.

Tomorrow will be another mainly cloudy day with showers and some periods of rain possible. Heavier and more widespread rain is possible.

It will remain unseasonably cool through Wednesday. Afterward, a brief period of warmer readings will follow before another strong cold front crosses the region on Friday. All said, the first 10 days of October are on track to be much cooler than normal. The temperature will likely average 4°-6° below normal during the October 1-10 period.

Afterward, the pattern evolution will depend on the state of blocking and the influence of the cool ENSO Region 1+2 region.

Since 1950, 15/21 (71%) of cases with an ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly of -0.75°C or below were warmer than normal in the Middle Atlantic region, including Philadelphia and New York City. 48% were 1° or more above average in New York City and 62% were 1° or more above average in Philadelphia. Just 14% were 1° or more below normal in New York City while 24% were 1° or more below normal in Philadelphia. One-third of cases in both cities saw a monthly mean temperature of 60° or above. Overall, such ENSO conditions also favored warmth in the Central and Northern Plains, along with dry conditions in the Plains States.

October 1988 was the coldest exception. The closing week of September saw the coldest Region 1+2 anomaly since September 1988. That development raises the probability of a cooler exception this month.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.7°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.8°C for the week centered around September 28. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.88°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.88°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through the fall.

The SOI was +15.92 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.922 today.

On October 1 the MJO was in Phase 4 at an amplitude of 0.973 (RMM). The September 30-adjusted amplitude was 0.639 (RMM).

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ILoveWinter said:

Exactly. The number of drought comments in the past few weeks/months would lend someone to believe that it's been one of the worst of all time! Yes it's been quite noticeable in some areas (certainly on the surface) but the reservoirs never really dropped to anything considered to be a "low" level (I think 90% of normal was a number I saw a month ago?). It's certainly not even remotely close to the West. Not saying we didn't need some rain but the raininess of the past few days through to Wednesday was not THAT badly needed!

ISP had the driest summer period (July 1st-August 31st) on record, even drier than the drought of the 60's. Obviously this was a shorter term drought, and if there was really anywhere that had real drought conditions, it was the south shore of LI. So yes, it was a significant drought here and the rain is needed here. Other places faired much better with the rain over the summer, and were only moderately dry. No one should ever compare a drought in the northeast to a drought out west, they are two completely different climates.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TWCCraig said:

ISP had the driest summer period (July 1st-August 31st) on record, even drier than the drought of the 60's. Obviously this was a shorter term drought, and if there was really anywhere that had real drought conditions, it was the south shore of LI. So yes, it was a significant drought here and the rain is needed here. Other places faired much better with the rain over the summer, and were only moderately dry. No one should ever compare a drought in the northeast to a drought out west, they are two completely different climates.

My comment was really about the entire metro but regardless, a short vs. long term drought in a specific part of our metro is not extreme. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

We would've seen backend snow me thinks if this were one month later..maybe even a few weeks

This is the first wintry looking sounding of the season. In fact, the wet bulb temps could almost support wet snow in the highest elevations of the southern Catskills. And it would possibly only take a model error of a few degrees Celsius to get some sleet in parts of NEPA and NNJ. Realistically we're not that close, but there's a feel in the air and a look to the model charts that is reminiscent of winter!

• Like 2