Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Rtd208

9 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

What’s getting lost in all this rain talk is how below normal we were today 

We used to get these cool October days years ago but lately its been in the 80s and 90s with record warm Octobers 

The cool stretch is even more notable given how dry/hot the summer has been.

But it's more of an anomalous cool pocket in an otherwise warm regime.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It's raining very hard here, we already have over 2" in this event.

This whole week is a huge downer lol.  I think people forget that for most of NYC's climate record, the average annual rainfall was around 40".  Going by the full climate history, this isn't much of a drought.  

Exactly. The number of drought comments in the past few weeks/months would lend someone to believe that it's been one of the worst of all time! Yes it's been quite noticeable in some areas (certainly on the surface) but the reservoirs never really dropped to anything considered to be a "low" level (I think 90% of normal was a number I saw a month ago?). It's certainly not even remotely close to the West. Not saying we didn't need some rain but the raininess of the past few days through to Wednesday was not THAT badly needed!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The good thing about our climate is that we don’t have a well defined dry season like they do out West. So dry patterns usually resolve on their own. We haven’t had a water emergency in NYC since 2002. Meanwhile, the West has been experiencing more than a 1000 year megadrought over the last 10 to 20 years. Having nearly all months average around 4.00” gives us plenty of opportunities for precipitation here.

Yeah we’re very fortunate in that regard. Puts a lot into perspective when we experience a lengthier than normal dry spell, versus out west

4 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

Yeah we’re very fortunate in that regard. Puts a lot into perspective when we experience a lengthier than normal dry spell, versus out west

What makes it even worse out west is they simply don't get much rain even on a normal year, in many places. So a drought is a drought in an already dry location.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Exactly. The number of drought comments in the past few weeks/months would lend someone to believe that it's been one of the worst of all time! Yes it's been quite noticeable in some areas (certainly on the surface) but the reservoirs never really dropped to anything considered to be a "low" level (I think 90% of normal was a number I saw a month ago?). It's certainly not even remotely close to the West. Not saying we didn't need some rain but the raininess of the past few days through to Wednesday was not THAT badly needed!

It came in the heart of summer so bad as far as vegetation soaking up the water...the same deficit in fall or winter would not be as extreme with dormant trees/grass

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I think this is what most wanted. A drawn out beneficial rain event without all the flooding (at least so far.) Only exception is coastal flooding.

Like 2 months ago though.   Idc anymore lol.  Now it's just cold and gross out.  

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, BucksCO_PA said:

Garbage in, garbage out

So I guess we’ll also have to toss the record low max tie today at Newark.

Newark Area, NJ
Period of record: 1931-01-01 through 2022-10-02

Lowest maximum temperatures (degrees F)Top Record 2nd Record 3rd Record

10/3 52 in 1974 52 in 2022 53 in 1939

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ILoveWinter said:

Yeah I remember when the reservoirs were down to around 40% back in the 80s-90s era so it's amusing that having them around 75% or so in the middle of the summer was considered extreme.

• Like 1