Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Remnants of Ian: Threat for us?

stormtracker

39 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Is this radar accurate? I’ve never seen anything like it. Rain developing on a line over land. It looks like a lake effect radar without the water. And in the wrong direction.

image.jpeg.42ebf8427ac8637c6cc6e54cce61b912.jpeg

Well its clearly not that lol. probably not due to terrain either. I think it might be related to the "spokes" of vorticity rotating around the upper low, some of which are quite small in scale. Saw a similar radar return over here last night(or the night before), hard to remember as it has become like ground hog day with the rain lol.

Here is a panel from the 18z NAM just to illustrate-

nam3km_z500_vort_neus_8.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Well its clearly not that lol. probably not due to terrain either. I think it might be related to the "spokes" of vorticity rotating around the upper low, some of which are quite small in scale. Saw a similar radar return over here last night(or the night before), hard to remember as it has become like ground hog day with the rain lol.

Here is a panel from the 18z NAM just to illustrate-

nam3km_z500_vort_neus_8.png

Pouring fatties now so hard that you can hear them hit the ground.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This has been a truly odd past five days of weather. I don't recall anything quite so long in duration with such chilly temps.

The killer is that our girls have had a stomach bug since Sunday, so no one is particularly happy about being stuck at home right now!

Sorry to hear about the stomach bug. But there is one period this reminds me of... October 2009. B)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Sorry to hear about the stomach bug. But there is one period this reminds me of... October 2009. B)

Thanks! They're slowly getting there, but man this has sucked!

I don't quite recall October 2009, but I'll just assume we're headed into another winter like the one that followed that month. ;)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kgottwald said:

I thought it was supposed to be clearing up by now. Still socked in with drizzle.

Yesterday Tysons/Vienna actually had no rain except brief sprinkles now and then, and I thought it was almost over.

Rain bands moving from east to west look ugly and unnatural.

I find the whe west to east thing quite fun to watch, lol

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

This has been a truly odd past five days of weather. I don't recall anything quite so long in duration with such chilly temps.

The killer is that our girls have had a stomach bug since Sunday, so no one is particularly happy about being stuck at home right now!

Yuck! Now see, I've just started to warm up to the idea of having kids one day, but this is the one thing I dread the most by far...I'd be no good and curled up in a ball of emetophobia, lol Glad they're starting to feel better!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic