Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Remnants of Ian: Threat for us?

stormtracker

21 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Gotta be skeptical about the GFS throwing that much precip back into the region on Tuesday.

"I fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never trust the precipitation on the GFS when a Nor'easter is on the line and it is the only model showing it!'"

image.jpeg.35aef62e4e11e2d0a75cb23a6b0da04b.jpeg

• Haha 3

The remnants of Ian are becoming a hybrid low near the mid-Atlantic coast with a shallow warm core (mainly 850 mb and above).   The interaction between this very slow-moving low and a strong high pressure system over E Canada and the NE US is creating a major, multi-tidal cycle coastal flooding event from northeast NC to southern NJ  that will continue into Wed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Was wondering if any higher elevations saw any flakes this morning

57 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I'm thinking the peaks over 3500' on Skyline Drive probably did or are seeing some. 

Not even close to cold enough up top. Freezing line was up around 700mb at 8am this morning. 850s were in the low to mid 40s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, midatlanticweather said:

"I fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never trust the precipitation on the GFS when a Nor'easter is on the line and it is the only model showing it!'"

image.jpeg.35aef62e4e11e2d0a75cb23a6b0da04b.jpeg

Haha, that's great!  Kudos on the Princess Bride reference!

"The GFS was correct in its depiction of precip building back into our area??  INCONCEIVABLE!!"

"I spent the last few years building up an immunity to precip as shown on the GFS!"

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic