• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

Regarding the peak Fall color discussion, I think it goes without saying that each year both peak Fall color and Spring green up vary.  As said, it was a beautiful but early peak this year, as we are already past peak and have been for a few days. Still some beautiful color of course but lots of bare.  I think I am around hoosiers age, and I do remember some halloween's where most of the trees were bare but I also remember doing lots of trick or treating in fallen leaves. A trend the past several years has been late leaf drop and late spring green up green up, so it will be interesting to see if this early leaf drop affects the timing of blooming next spring. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, TheClimateChanger said:

Maybe oak trees, but this is false. Look at the Halloween 1993 snowstorm in Cincinnati (and that's far south), and there are very few leaves on the trees. Clearly not bare, but most of the leaves had fallen. If there had been trees still in leaf with that widespread 6"+ storm, there would have been power outages all over the place. Which did not happen because there weren't many leaves left. We certainly didn't have leaves in northern Ohio, except on some oaks, after Halloween like in recent years. 

You sure they didn't have the date wrong. '91 and '92 were cold early. '93 I lived in NMI and was enjoying an unusually warm autumn and it didn't get cold until Christmas week. Idk how SOH would've had a snowstorm at Halloween in that regime. It wasn't a NINO season. Just checked Traverse City for Oct '93 and sure enough, only 2 mornings that barely got sub-freezing the entire month. How Cinci was out-pacing NMI is mind boggling stuff if true.

36 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

You sure they didn't have the date wrong. '91 and '92 were cold early. '93 I lived in NMI and was enjoying an unusually warm autumn and it didn't get cold until Christmas week. Idk how SOH would've had a snowstorm at Halloween in that regime. It wasn't a NINO season. Just checked Traverse City for Oct '93 and sure enough, only 2 mornings that barely got sub-freezing the entire month. How Cinci was out-pacing NMI is mind boggling stuff if true.

There actually was a snowstorm in the OV area at the end of October 1993.

12 hours ago, Hoosier said:

All due respect, I think your memory is a bit off.  September and October 1993 weren't unusually warm months anywhere in the region.

I just checked our weather. It was certainly not balmy temperature wise but it was a piss poor start to the snow season until until early January. Just bits of snow beforehand, although there was a bit on Christmas.  Despite the terrible start Detroit also logged 0.4" of snow in that Oct 30/31 snowfall. Winter kicked into high gear after Christmas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I just checked our weather. It was certainly not balmy temperature wise but it was a piss poor start to the snow season until until early January. Just bits of snow beforehand, although there was a bit on Christmas.  Despite the terrible start Detroit also logged 0.4" of snow in that Oct 30/31 snowfall. Winter kicked into high gear after Christmas. 

This gets into interesting territory about perceptions/recollections,  especially with the passage of time.  Lack of snow is not necessarily because it was warm.  But if you're missing out on snow and you're in an area that is used to having it, it may tend to alter how things are remembered.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This gets into interesting territory about perceptions/recollections,  especially with the passage of time.  Lack of snow is not necessarily because it was warm.  But if you're missing out on snow and you're in an area that is used to having it, it may tend to alter how things are remembered.

Agree 100%. A cold dry Winter with constant snow cover, even with a lack of big storms amd below avg snowfall, would be remembered as a harsh Winter.  Then the following Winter you could probably have twice as much snowfall but tons of thaws and people may even comment it was not as harsh as the year before.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

All due respect, I think your memory is a bit off.  September and October 1993 weren't unusually warm months anywhere in the region.

For NMI to hardly have sub-32F temps in October is warm. Oct's of '92 & '95 it snowed a lot in October. Keep in mind that's LES belts and it just takes a cold wind. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This gets into interesting territory about perceptions/recollections, especially with the passage of time.  Lack of snow is not necessarily because it was warm.  But if you're missing out on snow and you're in an area that is used to having it, it may tend to alter how things are remembered.

In autumn of '93 I was very busy with work/school and tbh didn't really need/want early snow for my 50 mi daily commute so a WAD Oct/Nov wasn't bothering me in the least. But we were 3 wks into Dec and that's when it really became noticeable that winter was a late arrival if it was coming at all. I do see Gaylord had 32F highs the last 2 days of Oct and minor LES event. That apparently (unknown in pre-web era) was the cold push that gave SOHV a snowstorm - huh :huh:

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

For NMI to hardly have sub-32F temps in October is warm. Oct's of '92 & '95 it snowed a lot in October. Keep in mind that's LES belts and it just takes a cold wind. 

In autumn of '93 I was very busy with work/school and tbh didn't really need/want early snow for my 50 mi daily commute so a WAD Oct/Nov wasn't bothering me in the least. But we were 3 wks into Dec and that's when it really became noticeable that winter was a late arrival if it was coming at all. I do see Gaylord had 32F highs the last 2 days of Oct and minor LES event. That apparently (unknown in pre-web era) was the cold push that gave SOHV a snowstorm - huh :huh:

Even with the sub 32 metric that you're using, it wasn't warm overall for those months.  Here are October/November 1993 temp departures

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-50-46-prcp.png

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-51-39-prcp.png

Here it is against the 1961-1990 averages that would've been valid at the time:

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-51-12-prcp.png

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-52-4-prcp.png

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Even with the sub 32 metric that you're using, it wasn't warm overall for those months.  Here are October/November 1993 temp departures

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-50-46-prcp.png

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-51-39-prcp.png

Here it is against the 1961-1990 averages that would've been valid at the time:

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-51-12-prcp.png

cd172-58-141-124-301-14-52-4-prcp.png

Do you have Dec? That's the month that really stood out as anomalous. Interesting to see that where I was at NOV got warmer relative to avg's vs OCT. Curious to see DEC. I remember taking my dogs to run on the beach at Lake Michigan on 12/19 and the wx was extremely pleasant. Seeing these maps makes me re-think tho that your original statement may apply. After early cold autumns the prior 2 years, '93's avg and lack of snow just felt wildly AN by comparison.  

46 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Do you have Dec? That's the month that really stood out as anomalous. Interesting to see that where I was at NOV got warmer relative to avg's vs OCT. Curious to see DEC. I remember taking my dogs to run on the beach at Lake Michigan on 12/19 and the wx was extremely pleasant. Seeing these maps makes me re-think tho that your original statement may apply. After early cold autumns the prior 2 years, '93's avg and lack of snow just felt wildly AN by comparison.  

Here's Dec.  The first ~2/3 of that month was pretty mild, but then it flipped so hard that it wiped out the warmth on the monthly avg.

cd172-58-160-119-301-20-19-8-prcp.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Here's Dec.  The first ~2/3 of that month was pretty mild, but then it flipped so hard that it wiped out the warmth on the monthly avg.

cd172-58-160-119-301-20-19-8-prcp.png

The 1st 19 days of December was extremely mild and snowless at Detroit, then a switch flipped as you said, and the cold the last third of the month wiped it out. Christmas to New Year's was very cold. Monthly departure at DTW using today's normals -0.5°

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

You are right. 
D1078F8F-8C3A-4EB4-95F6-7534531E9361.thumb.jpeg.dfc76f72694175b4cb6b46310de4dd17.jpeg

you really live a peaceful off the grid esque life. I absolutely admire the way of life you all adapt to up there. I couldn’t imagine how peaceful it is reading a book, making a fire in the wood burning stove, eating hearty soup and watching the snow pile up by the feet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chambana said:

you really live a peaceful off the grid esque life. I absolutely admire the way of life you all adapt to up there. I couldn’t imagine how peaceful it is reading a book, making a fire in the wood burning stove, eating hearty soup and watching the snow pile up by the feet. 

After nearly 10 years up here, the woods, animals, nature, the peace and quiet, all have become a part of my heart and I can't imagine ever leaving... medicine for the soul.

• Like 1