Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Looking at the Cocorahs reports, it appears the middle and northern Chicago area underperformed.  Most stations failed to even reach an inch.

Yeah, I was gonna say that I thought Chicago westward was supposed to get more than this

53 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Was a gorgeous color season here in Southeast Michigan. Also one of the earlier seasons in memory. We are already past peak.

Last night's rain brought my monthly total up to just 0.44". 

I'm gonna sound old, but the timing of the color peak is more like I remember it being as a kid.  We've been having some delayed seasons to varying extent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I'm gonna sound old, but the timing of the color peak is more like I remember it being as a kid.  We've been having some delayed seasons to varying extent.

Just HOW old are you, lol? I have a photo from 11-11-83 with a plastering of 4" of freshly fallen snow, but leaves on the trees similar to where we are currently in W Detroit area. And that was a couple counties north of here. I was inland last Sunday and peak had already occurred outside the UHI of Wayne Cnty. Cannot remember being so far along pre-Halloween since perhaps 2000 but I was in S. Bend at that point so it's not a fair comparison. '89 was an early and chilly autumn but tbh, my focus wasn't on timing of the colors back then. The storms of 10/19 and 11/16 stick out but not the progress of color change. There weren't too many colorful trees there anyways to even notice.  

24 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Just HOW old are you, lol? I have a photo from 11-11-83 with a plastering of 4" of freshly fallen snow, but leaves on the trees similar to where we are currently in W Detroit area. And that was a couple counties north of here. I was inland last Sunday and peak had already occurred outside the UHI of Wayne Cnty. Cannot remember being so far along pre-Halloween since perhaps 2000 but I was in S. Bend at that point so it's not a fair comparison. '89 was an early and chilly autumn but tbh, my focus wasn't on timing of the colors back then. The storms of 10/19 and 11/16 stick out but not the progress of color change. There weren't too many colorful trees there anyways to even notice.  

I'm not that old, but I thought it was going to come off as one of those "back in my day" posts lol.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Maybe oak trees, but this is false. Look at the Halloween 1993 snowstorm in Cincinnati (and that's far south), and there are very few leaves on the trees. Clearly not bare, but most of the leaves had fallen. If there had been trees still in leaf with that widespread 6"+ storm, there would have been power outages all over the place. Which did not happen because there weren't many leaves left. We certainly didn't have leaves in northern Ohio, except on some oaks, after Halloween like in recent years.