Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

Hey all.  Thought I better check in. 

Heck of a storm for mid October.  16-18" of heavy wet snow has fallen, with a foot of that just overnight.  There was a six hour period of near blizzard conditions from 7pm-1 am.  More snow wrapping back in with 3-6" possible.  My chickens are in shock.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.1abf95eacc415d1772656b95891553c7.jpg

• Like 24

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Heck of a storm for mid October.  16-18" of heavy wet snow has fallen, with a foot of that just overnight.  There was a six hour period of near blizzard conditions from 7pm-1 am.  More snow wrapping back in with 3-6" possible.  My chickens are in shock.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d4873b7d8bab1a0e5bc0cd74828e8e68.jpg

Was wondering when you'd show up. Yeah, mid October slap in the face.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, there's that, although Chicago got fringed.  But a prime example of heavy early November snow in Chicago leading to a good season is 1951-52.  There was 13.3" in the first week of November and the final total was 66.4", which is the 6th snowiest on record.

That's the season Skilling cited during the Dec 2000 bliz as a previous season with the rare pre-Christmas bliz for Chicago. We're likely wasting a sig storm currently about a month too early for most at our latitude. I don't see this repeating for the Lakes unfortunately. Ofc, I would've said the same thing about Nov 2-3 '66 storm, but nature came back with Jan '67 instead. My new locale here in the west burbs of Detroit has me truly grasping at straws. With rare exception, the truly big dogs just lift their collective leg and piss on Wayne county with mega-mix and/or WTOD issues. Jan '67, Jan '78, NYE '07, GHD-1 all come to mind. Noted exceptions would be Feb '65, Dec '74, & GHD-2. Just going with that data set gives me a 42% chance of any big storm working out for mby. Not great odds  

19 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

That's the season Skilling cited during the Dec 2000 bliz as a previous season with the rare pre-Christmas bliz for Chicago. We're likely wasting a sig storm currently about a month too early for most at our latitude. I don't see this repeating for the Lakes unfortunately. Ofc, I would've said the same thing about Nov 2-3 '66 storm, but nature came back with Jan '67 instead. My new locale here in the west burbs of Detroit has me truly grasping at straws. With rare exception, the truly big dogs just lift their collective leg and piss on Wayne county with mega-mix and/or WTOD issues. Jan '67, Jan '78, NYE '07, GHD-1 all come to mind. Noted exceptions would be Feb '65, Dec '74, & GHD-2. Just going with that data set gives me a 42% chance of any big storm working out for mby. Not great odds  

No fretting. Weather is like a woman. Nuff said LOL

6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d4873b7d8bab1a0e5bc0cd74828e8e68.jpg

I agree with your chickens. That is too much for October. Glad to see you are still around though.

• Like 3

As of 5 pm MQT has recorded a two day total of 18 inches (2.48" liquid).  That's an average SLR of 7.25:1.  This is some of the wettest snow I have ever had the pleasure to clear.  My blower wont even throw it, it's like a never ending ice turd just plopping out.

I'd bet over 20" has fallen here and its still snowing, albeit much lighter.

A few more weeks deeper into the season and this would have been a real humdinger.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

As of 5 pm MQT has recorded a two day total of 18 inches (2.48" liquid).  That's an average SLR of 7.25:1.  This is some of the wettest snow I have ever had the pleasure to clear.  My blower wont even throw it, it's like a never ending ice turd just plopping out.

I'd bet over 20" has fallen here and its still snowing.

A few more weeks deeper into the season and this would have been a real humdinger.

And 20"+ of cement isn't a real humdinger?  The rest of us would like to see that much from a single storm.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Not "fretting" but I've just endured back-to-back #2 & #3 all-time least snowy winters personally. I'm musing about a real storm because "there's always next year" gets old quick. 

Just messing with ya. I know you guys down there have trouble getting good storms at times. My low end year is probably pretty average to you, and storms are pretty normal my way just because of the typical pattern we see. Well, here's to a banner year for you this season.:drunk:

• Thanks 1

Duluth had a near record low max for Oct 17. Even a little colder than 2020. The avg min is 35, so pretty cold.

1930/48    28      
1972    30          
1916/2022    33           
1880/2020    35      

Two Harbors was the same, but a little warmer being next to the lake.

1930    31    
1972    35    
2020    37    
1992/2022    39   

2 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

^ Very impressive airmass. Mason City IA dropped to 15, tying the coldest on record so early in the season (it was 15 on this date in 1972). Records go back to 1893.

Only hit 30 here, as it was too windy and cloudy for much of the overnight. 

I noticed that LOT has stopped frost/freeze warnings this season.  Interesting decision to stop it everywhere because I don't think that a good chunk of Cook county -- and maybe none of Chicago -- has had a freeze yet.  Granted it's sort of a judgment call and probably like 95% of LOT's area has had a freeze.  But have to wonder if plant life may be thriving in the city this weekend lol.

18 hours ago, weatherbo said:

With the warmer weather coming for a short period, do you think you have started your winter snowpack or will this melt away?

4 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

With the warmer weather coming for a short period, do you think you have started your winter snowpack or will this melt away?

Looks like a nice, warm weekend and with ground temps still above freezing, I have to think that most if not all the snow will melt.  I'm hoping so.  Not quite ready for the snow to stick around as I still have some Fall projects to wrap up.  Over the Summer I converted my woodshed into a chx coop, so had to build another shed for the wood, and thankfully just finished getting it all split and stacked right before the storm.  I wouldn't even be disappointed if winter snow held off another month.

Storm total map. 

Appears the bullseye was up here in my neck of the woods.  Snow has compacted quite a bit already.  Last night when deeper forcing/moisture moved out, the temp actually warmed to 35 and even rained a bit before falling to 29 for the low.  I have about a foot of dense snow otg.

sfav2_CONUS_72h_2022101912.jpg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Be careful.  That's heart attack territory.

5 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

At 32 I sure hope not.

People would be surprised, especially if there's a family history.

I'm actually a couple years older than my uncle was when he had his first heart attack, but I think there were some circumstances there that don't apply to me (being in Vietnam/frequent excessive drinking)

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

People would be surprised, especially if there's a family history.

I'm actually a couple years older than my uncle was when he had his first heart attack, but I think there were some circumstances there that don't apply to me (being in Vietnam/frequent excessive drinking)

I could definitely see someone with health issues or a bad heart having a serious situation arise shoveling this concrete type snow, but I mostly use equipment and only have to really shovel the deck and I’m letting it melt off this time since it’s so early and nice weather’s to come.

And I’ve shoveled 4’ off the roof for almost 8 hours straight so I hope I’m okay for a few more years.

pic from down  in Negaunee today 98D6E91D-CD96-433A-835F-8BDEBBCFB948.thumb.jpeg.ae6f9b0bda5566d055c4c4e9b8a5e8f2.jpeg

• Like 7