• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

Duluth made it to #3 warmth yesterday. Was watching my grandsons football game yesterday evening. Awesome weather. Mid 60's in town with 70 at the airport. 

Duluth, MN

2015    84       1    
1995    79       2    
2022    77       3    
1934/55 76    4       
1938    75       5    

• Like 1

Just taking a look at Hibbing, MN records of early Oct snowfall, been a while since even 0.1" was recorded in the first half of the month. It's really chilly this time of year, so we'll see if we get something sticking up there tonight. I-Falls is a different story, they have more recent totals.

Hibbing Oct snow records.gif

I-Falls, MN recent early Oct records.

I-Falls Oct snow records.gif

We have a late-fall type polar-air trough in Canada. I wanted to point out that the plot of the 500mb wind speed and heights always hides the subtropical jet. The second plot is the cross-section from western Ontario to the Yucatan area of Mexico. The significant change in the altitude of the -12 degree C isotherm occurs at lower altitudes than the polar jet, which maxes out its wind speed at 300mb. The subtropical jet has its max speed at 200mb and the stronger winds are almost entirely at higher altitudes than 500mb. The 0 degree C, -12 degree C, and -18 degree C isotherms dip much closer to the ground in Ontario, perhaps much closer to the ground with any of our normal-ish jet stream patterns.

6HHiQXR.png

VxENP25.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

under the radar bust. LOT's Freeze Warning. Didn't appear to be close. Growing season continues....

I was surprised they had gone with one yesterday, due to the likelihood of clouds being an issue.

Early next week is the real widespread freeze, and likely a hard freeze at that.

• Thanks 1