• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

A rare bust on the good side, thought I'd wake up to rain and darkness with TWN showing 4-7C temps, windchill near 0 and rain most of the day. Here its blue skies each direction! We got very lucky that the lake effect rainbands aren't quite reaching but I can see them just a few miles away :lol:. TWN current condition page is full of it, showing rain instead of clear which is amazing for 2022:

e2uur.png

wto4v.gif

We should get our first light freeze tonight.  I should be able to save part of the garden with sheets and row covers.

Regarding the expanding drought, it feels like it will never rain again.  This is Dubuque's driest start to autumn on record and many places aren't far behind.  Every time I check the models it's a continuation of the endless dryness.  :axe:

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Was looking at some stats and this is the driest open to October for Chicago since 2011.  A year that many would like to stay away from as a winter analog.

Very very dry here. Interested to see what a 3rd year Nina delivers. I’m in the camp of a front loaded winter would be nice for a change of pace. I love snow for the holidays, and that’s been a rarity since the past decade. 

• Like 1

The first mention of the S word of the season in an Indiana forecast discussion.

AND WITH FRIDAY, 500 MB HEIGHTS APPROACHING 540 DM, STILL UNSETTLED 
WEATHER WITH THE TROUGH SITTING OVER THE REGION, 
A FEW SNOW SHOWERS ARE NOT COMPLETELY OUT OF THE QUESTION.
AT THIS TIME, I HAVE OPTED TO LEAVE MENTION OUT OF THE GRIDS, BUT
AS WE GET CLOSER I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED IF THIS WILL BECOME 
NECESSARY. FRIDAY TEMPERATURES WILL STRUGGLE TO JUST GET INTO THE 
LOWER 50S. THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN.

Sometimes weather makes no sense. KIND at 3:40 this afternoon reported light rain and put up a trace in the precipitation column. Now I am around 30 miles northwest but I was out and around five miles west of home at 3:41 and I took this image.

7V2A3723.thumb.JPG.946bac34d8c54ec4d0e5e30b6cb3d78f.JPG

As you can see it was CAVU where I was and no cloud in the sky. I guess the old adage of location, location, location is true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice little mini soaker today.  Picked up just under 4 tenths.

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

Yeah good rain 

Rain got as close as the county line, then bent around to the north for another swing and a miss. Still spitting bean dust here. Maybe tomorrow?