Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
TD 9/Ian Banter

MattPetrulli

1 minute ago, Trueshot104 said:

I'm a weenie like the rest of you. That being said, if you're really claiming that everyone deserves what they have coming, it's well documented that evacuation is hugely impacted by income inequality: 

https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10204514

In short, there are a lot of poor people who either don't have relatives to stay with, the financial means to up end and move (I mean, a hotel room is a huge chunk of salary for some, etc). Sure, if you're well off and chose to stay, sorry pal. But for a lot, it just isn't an option or at the least, a very hard and grey decision to make. 

All that to be said, holy moly this is one hell of a storm. 

Excuses.  Go live in a car for a couple days. Talk with your neighbor.  Walk to the shelter. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

And it’s one thing if you’re poor and can’t afford to leave like with Katrina in New Orleans. These people are not poor. 

A good number of them are though.  Once again, poor people will be disproportionally affected by this hurricane.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Trueshot104 said:

I'm a weenie like the rest of you. That being said, if you're really claiming that everyone deserves what they have coming, it's well documented that evacuation is hugely impacted by income inequality: 

In short, there are a lot of poor people who either don't have relatives to stay with, the financial means to up end and move (I mean, a hotel room is a huge chunk of salary for some, etc). Sure, if you're well off and chose to stay, sorry pal. But for a lot, it just isn't an option or at the least, a very hard and grey decision to make. 

Then it's a failure on a local and state level. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Trueshot104 said:

As car-centric the country is, at bare minimum if you're tight, I'm sure you could evac slightly inland to a parking garage to get height. Sure it'd be really terrifying to be in a car with the winds but the water will kill you faster in your home rather than being 3-5 stories up in a parking garage in land. And yes, there are always some that physically can't evac (e.g. the elderly) but those that make the conscious decision to not leave but have the means to because "X storm wasn't so bad, so this one won't be either" or "the forecasters were wrong about X storm in my backyard that one time, so they're going to be wrong this time" I have very little empathy for.

My parents are in Cape Coral right now , they were never told to leave , they weren’t evacuated. They are in zone 3 . Up till last night they were told it was only a high cat 2 maybe cat 3 that was going to hit Tampa , a lot of people stayed thinking it wouldn’t be that bad .
When you tell someone 4 hours before it hits its now a cat 5 . It’s to late .
That is on local , state and federal agencies.
I can’t even put blame on meteorologists because they are only right 8% of the time with anything .

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

6 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

but agree, this isn't new orleans and we should all feel free to laugh at the plight of fortunate people who made bad decisions 

don't let the woke mob take that away from you

the mandatory evacuation was issued yesterday. lol

From what I've seen for days is that this would be a historic flooding and storm for that area.  Not sure where people get their news from but I am certain it isn't on the NWS for not warning.  they have been screaming for days.  TWC has.  

If people failed to listen due to biases then that's on them

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

My parents are in Cape Coral right now , they were never told to leave , they weren’t evacuated. They are in zone 3 . Up till last night they were told it was only a high cat 2 maybe cat 3 that was going to hit Tampa , a lot of people stayed thinking it wouldn’t be that bad .
I can’t even put blame on meteorologists because they are only right 8% of the time with anything .

Zone 3 in Cape Coral should not have the worst flooding. Are they in the upper northern part or the southern part? Is there a two story home nearby?

1 minute ago, Sportybx said:

When you’re told to leave and you’re in a flood area when you’re under a warning and well within the uncertainty cone, you leave. Intensity is the hardest thing to forecast in a hurricane and it was supposed to strengthen to landfall. Sorry, if you still refuse to leave I don’t have sympathy for you. And not everyone of course but as others pointed out Cape Coral/Ft Myers aren’t economically poor places. And they’ve boomed in population in the last 25 years. Catastrophe waiting to happen. Curious to see how it rebuilds after, but I’m sure it will given the demand still to move to FL waterfront cities. 

1 minute ago, Sportybx said:

I do think some people probably developed too much tunnel vision on Tampa.  But that is why you always monitor latest forecasts for potential changes and also why it's prudent to evacuate a larger area than what may be needed in hindsight.  

11 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

:weenie:

11 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

Completely untrue. The mandatory evacuation orders went out yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah honestly-hard to have much sympathy for people in Ft Myers/Cape Coral that stayed. If you’re told to leave and warned for days about the storm and refuse, that’s on you. And if they assumed EMS can come get them now, that’s a hella rude awakening for them too. Those surge maps showed maybe 90% of Cape Coral underwater up to 9 feet. With 200k people there, if even 10% decided to stay, yikes. 

A lot of elderly people can't really travel, period. Has happened a lot in Ukraine, where most of the civilians still living in heavy conflict areas are the ones who were too old to leave in February.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seminole said:

Completely untrue. The mandatory evacuation orders went out yesterday. 

He said his parents were in Zone 3, only half of Zone 3 was told to evacuate. My guess is they live in the northern part of Zone 3, thus technically were not told to evacuate. 

Just now, forkyfork said:

that's still pretty late

True, but at that point in the game people should have been ready to receive those orders and leave. People shouldn't be waiting for a mandatory evac order and then go "welp I guess I should pack!" It was known that Ian was coming for a week. There's a reason why particularly Florida NWS have Plan, Prepare, Act in their watches and warnings and those were issued earlier than local mandatory evac orders.