Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
TD 9/Ian Banter

MattPetrulli

31 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that for? Unclean water contamination from storm surge, or?

I’m not an expert but my son (electrician) says they likely are taking the pumps offline to prevent damage from expected electrical line surges/brown outs.   He has seen some communities do that when the possibility of damage is high and replacing the pump motors is difficult due to lack of spares etc.   take  this with grain of salt.   It is a major inconvenience to lose water this early into a storm 

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Charley was in a high league…insane winds.

In Charley it was a really small strip that got the worst of it and duration was short and there was virtually no storm surge.  For cool videos of wind this thing won't touch Charley but I feel like the impact in the area is going to be worse for more people.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Inland hydro issues will become a big story me thinks.  Especially if Ian pulls off some of the higher end model projections.

There is a significant risk that the gypsum mining wastewater storage facilities could be compromised.  If so it will be a total clusterf#$k environmental disaster 

2 minutes ago, Hotair said:

There is a significant risk that the gypsum mining wastewater storage facilities could be compromised.  If so it will be a total clusterf#$k environmental disaster 

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/imminent-failure-of-phosphogypsum-stack-in-tampa-bay-exposes-phosphate-industry-risks-2021-04-03/

Nicholsonnodding.gif

• Sad 1

Just now, Hotair said:

I didn't realize Florida had a big gypsum industry.  That's not good.    It's easy to overlook all of the potential toxins that flood waters can spread and deposit.   15"-20" of rain falling in short order, on a grossly over developed wetlands, has no good outcome potential.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

In response to the unfolding threat, Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency for Manatee County.

“This environmental disaster is made worse by the fact it was entirely foreseeable and preventable,” said Jaclyn Lopez, Florida director at the Center for Biological Diversity. “With 24 more phosphogypsum stacks storing more than 1 billion tons of this dangerous, radioactive waste in Florida, the EPA needs to step in right now. Federal officials need to clean up this mess the fertilizer industry has dumped on Florida communities and immediately halt further phosphogypsum production.”

so now they want the EPA…

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I didn't realize Florida had a big gypsum industry.  That's not good.    It's easy to overlook all of the potential toxins that flood waters can spread and deposit.   15"-20" of rain falling in short order, on a grossly over developed wetlands, has no good outcome potential.

I think it is phosphate fertilizer production.  Just reading about concentrations of radon producing trace amounts of radium in the waste.  Radiation gets the publicity, but the heavy metals, if I had to guess, would be a bigger danger to wildlife.  Construction gypsum is apparently lower in the radium.  Or they couldn't use it in construction.  The only thing I know about gypsum, really, is its desiccated cousin anhydrite is found in outcrops on the Colorado River in Bastrop.  The other Colorado River.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I think it is phosphate fertilizer production.  Just reading about concentrations of radon producing trace amounts of radium in the waste.  Radiation gets the publicity, but the heavy metals, if I had to guess, would be a bigger danger to wildlife.  Construction gypsum is apparently lower in the radium.  Or they couldn't use it in construction.  The only thing I know about gypsum, really, is its desiccated cousin anhydrite is found in outcrops on the Colorado River in Bastrop.  The other Colorado River.

Dude you should see the gypsum beds out at lake mead. You can be driving by and see what looks like a ton of broken glass, and it’s just clear shards. There are milky ones too, and rosettes you can find. The petrified wood out there even is infested with it, giving it a sparkly luster but brittle texture. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

It is tied to fertilizer production. Stuff is a nightmare to clean up.  We had an accidental release of some of the water into the bay and it resulted in massive red tide.  These companies come and mine and promise they will clean it up after.  Except one by one they simply declare bankruptcy of the LLC they create and move on to the next project under a new one leaving the state holding the bag (except the state is fully in cohoots with these companies). 

• Like 1

Radon is apparently the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.  Most dangerous in homes built on naturally radioactive material and mines.  It produces alpha particles, helium w/o the electrons yet.  Skin is enough to stop alpha radiation, hence the risk is in inhaling it, where, like Pu, it irradiates living tissue to the point of causing cancer.

Last 30 years homes built in areas with high natural levels of radioactive material that produces the gas are required to have ventilation designed to keep concentrations low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

It is tied to fertilizer production. Stuff is a nightmare to clean up.  We had an accidental release of some of the water into the bay and it resulted in massive red tide.  These companies come and mine and promise they will clean it up after.  Except one by one they simply declare bankruptcy of the LLC they create and move on to the next project under a new one leaving the state holding the bag (except the state is fully in cohoots with these companies). 

Red tide is tied to its value as a fertilizer.  The red tides are more common in the Gulf of Mexico near the mouth of the Mississippi River because of excess fertilizer runoff from Midwest farms.  Consumes the oxygen, kills the fish.  Leaves a dead zone.