• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropical Storm Hermine

From the NHC discussion:

"The initial wind speed is set to 30 kt, perhaps conservatively since the eastern side of the circulation has not been sampled by scatterometer or aircraft data."

"The depression has about a day over warm water in light to moderate shear before all the models blast the system with strong upper- level southwesterly winds. Most of the guidance shows this system becoming a tropical storm before weakening significantly by late this weekend and dissipating early next week. The official wind speed prediction is near the NOAA corrected-consensus guidance HCCA."

We're still way below average for climatological ACE through yearly date, but boy is it closing fast. Should surpass it by the end of September. If October has a few hurricanes, we'll likely end up as what is considered an active season, but still well below seasonal forecasts. At any rate, we're staring down the barrel of two strong landfalls.

I swear the naming of some of these storms is questionable at best anymore. I feel like I could go out off Folly with some dry ice and swim in circles to get a named storm these days
Some systems in recent years I'd agree with that sentiment, Hermine is not such a case based on the satellite images I saw around time of upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

I swear the naming of some of these storms is questionable at best anymore. I feel like I could go out off Folly with some dry ice and swim in circles to get a named storm these days

I mean it had a closed circulation with consistent convection and gale force winds. Pretty sure that is what is called a tropical storm.