Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

Very glad you've got the appointment for snows.  :D

Still low 20s here, with light snow and a bit under 1" so far.  This bunch should be through in a couple hours, then we wait for the main event.  GYX has Farmington's "most likely" at 4", which for this system might mean 3" here, 6 miles to the east.  I would be pleasantly surprised by either number - hoping for no net loss from this mixed bag.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alex said:

Got caught in a snowrricane in Franconia Notch. Holy cow I’m glad to be home. Very cool to see the differences the mountains make. You go from a blizzard in the notch to literally not a flake as you exit 93 onto rt 3, just to the northeast of Mt LaFayette. 

Cool, Mount Washington winds are out of the due south.  So the wind must be funneling right up the notch.  Once you get to that turnoff the wind is  going over the Lafayette and down sloping at that point.  I have noticed that is a real snowhole.  It is amazing how a few miles make such a difference in weather.

Dangerous Ice conditions on NH big lakes.

Newfound Lake and I assume parts of Lake Winni and Squam finally skimmed over 2 nights ago.  Really late in the season but it finally happened.  Now we are getting those few inches of snow/sleet/mix.  I would assume that even with the rain at the end the lakes will be white.  This weekend the "flatlanders" will be up and this ice condition is ripe for disaster.  The lakes ice in the big lakes will not be safe.

I know the NWS in the spring sometimes puts out special statements about cold water but I don't think I have ever seen a statement about thin lake ice.  I hope we get through this weekend without an accident.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Cool, Mount Washington winds are out of the due south.  So the wind must be funneling right up the notch.  Once you get to that turnoff the wind is  going over the Lafayette and down sloping at that point.  I have noticed that is a real snowhole.  It is amazing how a few miles make such a difference in weather.

Yes that spot often has no snow while a few miles in either directions are fully covered. 

In a bizarre twist, now that it’s warmed to 32 it’s actually snowing moderately hard. I’ll never understand mountain weather lol 

41 minutes ago, Patriot21 said:

I've been happy with this event so far, not looking forward to the rain though. Outside thermometer at 25 at 7:40pm. Picture from out the back door.

20230112_193716_3oIG3bbi3b.jpeg

Yeah, m closing in on 2” so it’s a little better than I thought it would be. Like you, I’m not looking forward to the rain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Yeah, m closing in on 2” so it’s a little better than I thought it would be. Like you, I’m not looking forward to the rain. 

I leave the house around 3:15am for work, but my boss told me to stay home if the roads are too icy. Would be nice if the precipitation just stopped and we had a normal, cold January night. Oh well.

5 hours ago, borderwx said:

Shoveling roulette this morning

5.5” overnight, woke up to 37F and rain, does it melt off? Or does it become an iceberg?emoji38.png

Imagine the mountain did well last night

Just saw your post.  I figured a lot of wet slush would be left this morning making snowblowing impossible.  So yesterday evening right as the switch to mix I snowblowed the powder off.  This morning I just had a slight bit of slush which is melting off now since it is 37F.  Otherwise I would have had everything freezing solid this evening and a mess all week

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just saw your post.  I figured a lot of wet slush would be left this morning making snowblowing impossible.  So yesterday evening right as the switch to mix I snowblowed the powder off.  This morning I just had a slight bit of slush which is melting off now since it is 37F.  Otherwise I would have had everything freezing solid this evening and a mess all week

Good strategy.  The time here to have done that would've been about 2 AM, so we have 3" of chute-clogging slop.  Fallback position is to allow some drainage thru mid-afternoon then pack it down with the Forester.

• Like 2

Well, my driveway is a shit show. It's basically dirt. So I have giant mud season type ruts, then it snowed on top of those ruts, then it rained into the snow. And the plow pushed a nice little dam at the end of the driveway. Now I need to see if I can shovel this shit show before it freezes solid and my car is locked in the driveway until the next thaw. 

Totally loving this winter :/

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Well, my driveway is a shit show. It's basically dirt. So I have giant mud season type ruts, then it snowed on top of those ruts, then it rained into the snow. And the plow pushed a nice little dam at the end of the driveway. Now I need to see if I can shovel this shit show before it freezes solid and my car is locked in the driveway until the next thaw. 

Totally loving this winter :/

Hum,  for the plow pile at the end of the driveway you could wait until it is partially frozen this evening and drive back and forth over it to stamp it down.   

I had to chase today up to the NC mountains as they are in quite an upslope event today into the weekend. Some will see over a foot before it is over. Felt like my time in VT up there today.  Hope there is a big turnaround for everyone this season at some point.

19 hours ago, alex said:

Just set up our new camera! Can't see much now other than the flurries and roof, but during the day you can see the Bretton Woods ski slopes (mostly West Mountain, the left side is covered by some large trees. 

https://www.brettonwoodsvacations.com/webcam/

Alex,  where exactly is that cam?  Not at your house but on one of your properties?

I woke up at 430 this morning and looked at my phone trying to get some idea of the weather and saw Alex's post about the new webcam so clicked and it was snowing like crazy and thought to myself, it's been probably doing that all night, I'll cross country ski up to Zealand Hut tomorrow. In reality, there is probably two inches of snow composed of 1.5" of liquid equivalent on the road- strange, it made for pretty good skiing! I had to take my skis off shortly after passing the parking lot at the end of the road due to lack of snow. There is between 8-12" of snow up around the hut. A nice day - 13 miles round trip. Funny, met a bunch of folks who brought touring skis.

No ice on Winnisquam or Meredith Bay. There are fishing houses on Waukewan and there were people fishing out on Wicwas this AM. Nice to feel like it is winter.

The front 5 at Cannon are pretty grim looking from the road - no snow on Paulie's or Avalanche. 

34 minutes ago, Angus said:

I woke up at 430 this morning and looked at my phone trying to get some idea of the weather and saw Alex's post about the new webcam so clicked and it was snowing like crazy and thought to myself, it's been probably doing that all night, I'll cross country ski up to Zealand Hut tomorrow. In reality, there is probably two inches of snow composed of 1.5" of liquid equivalent on the road- strange, it made for pretty good skiing! I had to take my skis off shortly after passing the parking lot at the end of the road due to lack of snow. There is between 8-12" of snow up around the hut. A nice day - 13 miles round trip. Funny, met a bunch of folks who brought touring skis.

No ice on Winnisquam or Meredith Bay. There are fishing houses on Waukewan and there were people fishing out on Wicwas this AM. Nice to feel like it is winter.

The front 5 at Cannon are pretty grim looking from the road - no snow on Paulie's or Avalanche. 

I noticed that the camera is deceiving at night. Snizzle looks like heavy snow. Only got 3/4” in the last 24 hrs or so. I have 4.5” at the stake but it’s cement 

37 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Was up in Williston and S. Burlington tonight. Some light snow falling. Tiny flakes that seem to pretty low level since I don’t see anything on the radar. 

It’s been bizarre. This morning I had no new snow on my car, then like a mile away everything was coated with the tiniest of flakes falling (like a mist/haze), then a couple miles further there was nothing again, etc.  Mountain today was low clouds and freezing mist or small tiny flakes, some sunshine up high at times.

Then leaving the mountain there was no new snow on my car, but once again drove through a band of accumulating like snow drizzle that had road covered up and back out of it again getting home.

Its like all day there was this persistent standing wave of low, low level -SN that was like a thick haze/mist about two miles east of the Spine.  Whitening everything up there with rime and snow, while further into the village or up to the mountain seemed to see nothing.

Just a classic micro-scale deal where there must’ve been just enough convergence or lift in that one spot between the terrain to generate just enough lift in the low stratus to get flakes.  Just this steady state ripple.