• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

As far as N VT goes Not getting my hopes up but that NAM is juicy as is often the case with its overblown qpf.  We have Euro, CMC, NAM, RDPS all in our court but as is mentioned elsewhere the GFS gets shunted a little more S and E causing less of a front end and more dragged out snow over the weekend.  Well take it anyway we can get it.  Thinking 4-6 is doable for my backyard.  Low end 3" high end 9"  Grrr GFS  And the 18z euro which just took a turn for the worse also!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, timp said:

Snow!! That little bit of moisture rotating through doing its job here. Going to be a couple quick inches at this rate with maximum fluff factor. Missed this. 

396A086D-0145-46F2-909A-24E1B2DB4D8A.jpeg

Whoa are you in Garfield area by any chance. Such a microclimate in that E part of HP!!  Just started here in Waterbury Center hope that little ditty hits me :) I went to Johnson way back when and a buddy lived out there.  It would snow when it wasn't snowing anywhere else the depth was always a foot + or  more.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Whoa are you in Garfield area by any chance. Such a microclimate in that E part of HP!!  Just started here in Waterbury Center hope that little ditty hits me :) I went to Johnson way back when and a buddy lived out there.  It would snow when it wasn't snowing anywhere else the depth was always a foot + or  more.  

I’m actually just off Rt 100 very close to North Hyde Park and Eden. The Garfield area is gorgeous though really like it back there. I commute to Williston and back every day and you can always count on the snow picking up as your approach Johnson and even more as you pick up some elevation on 100C. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 1:07 PM, J.Spin said:

For the local valleys around here, this shouldn’t be considered that anomalous.  Here’s the snow depth at our site in Waterbury on 12/10 for the past several seasons:

2007: 10.0”

2008: Trace

2009: 8.0”

2010: 7.0”

2011: 1.0”

2012: 0.5”

2013: 2.0”

2014: 7.0”

2015: 0.0”

2016: 3.0”

2017: 1.5”

2018: 9.0”

2019: 2.0”

2020: 3.5”

2021: 3.0”

So out of those 15 seasons, there’s one with no snow, one with a trace, and one with less than inch at our stake.  The mean snow depth here at our site for 12/10 is 4.1 ± 3.4”, so having 0.0” at the stake is 1.21 S.D. below the mean; thus the data indicate it should occur in 11.2% of seasons.  That’s basically once every 9 or 10 seasons that we should see bare ground on 12/10, and there are roughly one to two of them in our 15-year set of data (the trace value can sort of go either way – there may not have been snow at the exact location of my stake, but a trace means there is at least snow on our property somewhere).

So, it certainly happens.  It began snowing here around 12:30 P.M. today though, and with temperatures well below freezing it started to accumulate immediately.  If the temperatures stay cold as the forecast suggests, there would probably be at least a trace at the stake for tomorrow morning’s reading.

This early part of the season can really be inconsistent for snow cover in the valleys, even in a fairly reliable snow spot like ours.  We did just have our 7th white Thanksgiving in a row this year though, so that’s an example of the early season snowpack variability in the other direction.

Just goes to show that anecdotal more often then not means WRONG!!  Thanks for the record keeping and the sharing of the record!!  Go science and maths!   I have noticed Tgiving anecdotally has been snowier:)

3 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Man its windy.  Also Here's Stowe 10 minutes ago, that's some snow blowing!  Can only see the second set of lights on the overeasy, the other side doesnt exist, no mtn ops, no groomers

mansfield12132022.jpg

Wife and I were in Morrisville getting groceries at Price Chopper and came out to the car covered in snow during the time we were inside.  Some good squalls moving through.  Looked like Morrisville had a little more snow than Stowe during the past event.  Usually it seems like a bit less or warmer, but they might have gotten a local max in the last one.

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wife and I were in Morrisville getting groceries at Price Chopper and came out to the car covered in snow during the time we were inside.  Some good squalls moving through.  Looked like Morrisville had a little more snow than Stowe during the past event.  Usually it seems like a bit less or warmer, but they might have gotten a local max in the last one.

We got enough to cover up the paw prints in the inch we had so it was nice!  Prolly a 1/2 inch

By weds all things are equal.   Got a snowy xmas look 'round here.  Bout time we got some snow!  I've lurked here for years, I love NNe because it's so chill, we know we will get our snow more often than not nickle and dime or synoptically.  The former being the way.  WE dont need no stinkin big dog like 2/14/07 (but we love it).   Give us 3 here 8 there a surprise 18 and then another 2 to freshen it up.  Way too many ipa's tonight my friends.  Seems like it's the only time i have the balls to post about the only thing I love more than beer and that is  the winter weather in northern vermont. (now posted in the right forum thread, d'oh)

Seems like no matter the model we end up in a similar place if it's true.  (by we I mean me pf, jspin, mreaves, and timp)

image.thumb.png.5a54a0e9fa179bd1ba48245ef2415aa2.png

image.thumb.jpeg.ca7d2a760349433a1e4906bbb13fde23.jpeg