Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

2 hours ago, alex said:

Set up an ice skating rink for my kids and guests today. Felt cold AF with the wind howling and the ongoing flurries. Hope it doesn't end up being a pain

FF9AE979-611F-4BE6-8ADB-C83B35C1CD74.jpeg

Dude that’s awesome. I admire your dedication to the high-end winter experience. Its so aesthetically pleasing from what you show.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Dude that’s awesome. I admire your dedication to the high-end winter experience. Its so aesthetically pleasing from what you show.

Yeah it's fun to do something that renters will enjoy but that also creates atmosphere. I added some string lights and it looks really cool at night. Once the snow hides the liner and the structure a bit more it should look even better 

AEAD0680-73E1-40D3-B74F-186CE8CB4522.jpeg

• Like 7

On 11/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, tamarack said:

That storm was the end of significant snow here, and thru Feb 9 we had not seen even a 4" event.  Then Feb 10-March 12 featured 4 major storms and some littl'uns for a 60" period total and 94" (105% of avg) for the snow season.  Only 9" OG on 2/9 but up to 35" on 3/12.  The board included a member from Fort Kent then and he posted pics showing snow halfway up ground floor windows.

5 hours ago, alex said:

Set up an ice skating rink for my kids and guests today. Felt cold AF with the wind howling and the ongoing flurries. Hope it doesn't end up being a pain

FF9AE979-611F-4BE6-8ADB-C83B35C1CD74.jpeg

I wish you were my umm my kid's dad?  I actually bought the shit to make a rink and then didnt have a flat enough spot, I dont know what I was thinking in Vermont.  I Thought I had the spot laid it out and was like, uhhh this isnt big enough.  I have never felt more dumb in my life.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

.4” is a legit dusting ha.  Microclimate.

HE lives in another world.  I got nothing of anything.  Saw a few flakes which was nice, Im a few miles to the NW of him.  Im going to figure this out exactly for science as I know where he is and man things will be different.  Right now my guess is a about 4.5 miles NW.  TOTAL guess.  He's SW of the res and im due east of it almost dead center

Yeah it's fun to do something that renters will enjoy but that also creates atmosphere. I added some string lights and it looks really cool at night. Once the snow hides the liner and the structure a bit more it should look even better 
AEAD0680-73E1-40D3-B74F-186CE8CB4522.jpeg.387404874812c489206bf9c662d9cf69.jpeg

Welcome to the winter gardening club:)

Nothing is as curious as rink ice, equal parts satisfying and maddening b987f0e4d6158d527b469202fdcc6f45.jpg
  • Like 4

I agree with the BTV maps.  I think mid-level and low-level thermal concerns will lead to less than 10:1 ratios.

0.40-0.80" SWE to 3-6", local 8" at summit level.  Then colder thermals, better snow growth, and less moisture but adds 1-3" snowfall with snow showers into Thursday.

These maps make sense given the overall look and evolution of snow types.

From synoptic round one:

SnowAmt_24hr.thumb.jpg.ab53ffec55a966e96a6131d8595927c6.jpg

Adding in meso-scale round two over a couple of days worth of snow showers.

SnowAmt_72hr.thumb.jpg.a70f66f27a1c89ecb4d51a55d2ddeaa9.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I agree with the BTV maps.  I think mid-level and low-level thermal concerns will lead to less than 10:1 ratios.

0.40-0.80" SWE to 3-6", local 8" at summit level.  Then colder thermals, better snow growth, and less moisture but adds 1-3" snowfall with snow showers into Thursday.

These maps make sense given the overall look and evolution of snow types.

From synoptic round one:

SnowAmt_24hr.thumb.jpg.ab53ffec55a966e96a6131d8595927c6.jpg

You think 12-18 is a little high up here?  There's some lake streamers that look like they could enhance it, but still looks like a stretch

7 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

You think 12-18 is a little high up here?  There's some lake streamers that look like they could enhance it, but still looks like a stretch

Yeah I would think 12-18" is a bold call.  Tomorrow is going to be dense either way.  There's just not much chance of good snow growth, maybe aggregates from warmth?  But usually just cold enough, with warm air advection aloft, is a higher density snow.  The actually amount of snowfall in inches isn't as important as the total amount of frozen QPF in my opinion.  There will be some higher ratio fluff on Thursday, but hard to forecast anything near 12-18" even up at Jay.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:35 PM, alex said:

AEAD0680-73E1-40D3-B74F-186CE8CB4522.jpeg

My dad put one up every winter for us.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

PF, where do you go to get BTV NWS 72-Hour Snowfall Forecast maps like that?  Those sort of longer duration maps would be great for around here with the way we get so many of those multi-day events.  What you’ve posted is a perfect example with back side snow showers possible with this event.