Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

29 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Anything left up top from the other night or are you guys starting from bare ground tomorrow night?

I’m en route with the dog lol.

There we’re a few patches I could see on North Slope but effectively nothing.

The other night’s strategic objective was stress test and training (had a crew of 15 out there, ha)… look for problems to fix in this warmth.  But system handled 75+ guns fine and new guys got some good knowledge.  They are ready to go tomorrow night.

Snowmaking is very well staffed after last years’ issues. That made me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

I’m en route with the dog lol.
There we’re a few patches I could see on North Slope but effectively nothing.
The other night’s strategic objective was stress test and training (had a crew of 15 out there, ha)… look for problems to fix in this warmth.  But system handled 75+ guns fine and new guys got some good knowledge.  They are ready to go tomorrow night.
Snowmaking is very well staffed after last years’ issues. That made me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

You should be able to crush it this week fully staffed and with the temps. Probably well ahead of last year. I think I remember you struggling with the decision to open day before thanksgiving or blowing non-stop as that was the first window at 1500’. Probably 10 nights of temps pre thanksgiving this year.

I forget, you go lord/t line after the quad/north slope line?

I like the Bretton Woods area to be honest... models are showing it but I think the setup fits.  Diane and Alex, on the WNW slope of MWN and the local topography.  Elevations of 1,500ft as the valley floor in the basin to the NW of the Presidentials.  That is the snow zone in the next 5 days to be honest.  The low level NW winds, underneath moisture advection from the south, east, northeast.  Upslope flow and CAA, while synoptic moisture is present aloft... it should snow in that zone.

• Like 2

Doing some changes to the house. Bought a pellet stove to supplement the propane heating system. I can't take credit for any house upgrades, I panic when I have to change a battery in a smoke detector. The house only had a subfloor when I bought it. My partner, who can basically build a house from the ground up, is making all the upgrades. He laid flooring down in the section where the pellet stove sits. We unboxed it, and he vented it to the chimney. Fires it up and smoke poured out the side vents. We shut it down and my partner took the sides off and checked all the seals and gaskets. Brand new pellet stove, just picked it up this past Thursday- two of the gaskets are sliced, so the smoke can escape from the firebox and then exits side vents. I gotta run to Lowes and pick up some of that high heat silicone gasket maker stuff. Going to try to seal the gaskets and see if it holds.

There used to be a coal/wood stove with a vent set up to the chimney, but we wanted to go pellet stove instead. Going to store the coal/woodstove in the basement until we decide what to do with it. It's actually an antique. Not sure where the prior owner found it. It was made by the Orbon Stove Company- it's a huntsmen 236 model. It barely looks like it was ever used and I think it was made before 1930. It's a cool looking hybrid stove. I'd like to get a value on it, but not even sure how to find someone who can evaluate it

• Like 3