Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

1 minute ago, Big Jims Videos said:

I'd call that a significant jump east on the GFS.  Tampa evacuations should prepare like....tonight.  

Very concerning, that slow creep on approach and near stall right off the coast of Tampa would be a huge storm surge disaster for that area. Definitely not good by any means

Evacuations won't happen here in Tampa Bay until Warnings are out. Supplies are already hard to find; water, batteries, etc. Supermarkets and stores like Walmart have been packed.

Some of are "getting ready" to put up window protections and batten things down. But we'll wait a while still. What I am doing in my backyard is something that I've wanted to do for a few years anyway, ever since we recreated our yard after Irma. LOL

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Kind of lurches it around to a Big Bend landfall 

Yeah I would say the GFS is out to lunch on this one. GFS tends to struggle with these Florida canes because it either likes to slide the trough out quicker or it holds it back longer. GFS never really depicts these troughs right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Yeah I would say the GFS is out to lunch on this one. GFS tends to struggle with these Florida canes because it either likes to slide the trough out quicker or it holds it back longer. GFS never really depicts these troughs right.

The trough position really hasn’t change, it’s more storm speed/trajectory

I use Weatherbell  for model info. Great product.   I am not sure how accurate the GFS wind products are, but this is the wind gusts in mph when Ian makes it closest approach  to Tampa (18Z).   It almost stalls in this position at around 967mb bring strong south winds into Tampa Bay.  

Screenshot 2022-09-25 182027.jpg

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I use Weatherbell  for model info. Great product.   I am not sure how accurate the GFS wind products are, but this is the wind gusts in mph when Ian makes it closest approach  to Tampa (18Z).   It almost stalls in this position at around 967mb bring strong south winds into Tampa Bay.  

Screenshot 2022-09-25 182027.jpg

That is going to be absolutely nasty for Tampa Bay with storm surge going up into the Bay with nowhere to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

As has been mentioned, winds are really a non issue compared to the surge

Hurricane Agnes was biggest surge we've had in about 100 years. Wind was a non-issue, rain was nothing memorable. But the 10ft Storm Surge across Tampa Bay was indeed something to remember.

That is a 10ft surge. We hear about 30 ft sometimes when we are in the cone of a big one.

22 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

If the euro is correct they got 3 days to prepare. 

2 and a half to be safe. Probably don’t want to evacuate under major lightning storms.  At least hillsborough schools have been cancelled now in preparation of storm shelters.  

• Like 2

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian