• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

Recon heading out of Virgin Islands, could be a very interesting mission with RI starting. Track at this link recon_AF303-0609A-IAN.png

Structure looks perfect for this thing to go nuclear. And if it does that tonight, I think it could be a Wilma situation for Florida. The earlier the storm gets deeper, the more east it will go

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, turtlehurricane said:

Recon heading out of Virgin Islands, could be a very interesting mission with RI starting. Track at this link recon_AF303-0609A-IAN.png

Structure looks perfect for this thing to go nuclear. And if it does that tonight, I think it could be a Wilma situation for Florida. The earlier the storm gets deeper, the more east it will go

Not much evidence that RI is starting. 

The intersection of the HR144 1σ rings from GEFS, EPS, and MOGREPS has landfall near Cedar Key, FL north of Tampa. This blend of the global ensembles is consistent with the 8pm OFCL track. One interesting aspect here is that MOGREPS takes a western track early and then takes a sharper turn to the NE than the GEFS and EPS. It appears there is a slight tick east relative to the 12Z cycle with the passage through the Yucatan Channel and clipping Cuba on this cycle.

AFoCemJ.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Floydbuster said:

I remember the models showing Ivan weakening in the Gulf and we waited and waited and waited. It came ashore with 120 mph winds.

It definitely was weakening to some degree because many areas did not see those winds mix down which tends to be a sign of a weakening storm but usually you can be sure if models, even the HWRF/HMON show crazy weakening or strengthening it tends to be overdone both ways most of the time 

• Like 2

Really curious about how surge impacts are communicated by NHC.  Not too familiar with surge forecasting, but the Big Bend area and west coast of Florida are very surge prone. This, along with discrepancies about the size of the storm on models create for an interesting situation. Me thinks this will be a big surge event, but I am somewhat ignorant to surge forecasting. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Just back from the Battle for the Bayou Bucket, and I expected more from the IR satellite, honestly.

Same here tbh. Everyone is acting like it is really starting to look good and I'm very unimpressed. I don't see anything that screams this is about to take off anytime soon. Really curious if this rapid weakening prior to landfall will come to fruition or if a much stronger storm will landfall and catch people off guard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Same here tbh. Everyone is acting like it is really starting to look good and I'm very unimpressed. I don't see anything that screams this is about to take off anytime soon. 

Can change quick, but looks very disorganized at the moment. Weird given the parameters. Probably will change during the night, however. 

2 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Can change quick, but looks very disorganized at the moment. Weird given the parameters. Probably will change during the night, however. 

Thinking that dry air earlier I talked about may be part of the issue. Seems like a lot of the convection towards the west part of circulation just collapsed. 

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Same here tbh. Everyone is acting like it is really starting to look good and I'm very unimpressed. I don't see anything that screams this is about to take off anytime soon. 

The mid-level swirl from earlier convection is making it look better than it is.  So far this evening the convection has been ok, but nothing impressive.  Maybe it will blow up more overnight.  Recon will be in there shortly to try to find a surface center.  It's possible recon will find nothing more than a weak mess like this morning.  We'll know in a couple hours.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

The last local hurricane decades ago, while large, was never more than a Cat 2 in the Gulf, and produced a significant surge.  Weakening from 115 kt to 80 kt just before landfall, with NHC suggesting a large circulation, into a concave shaped coastline, would, to me, suggest a big surge.

If it plays out by NHC forecast.  I guess it could be a 70 knot hurricane this time tomorrow.  But 45 knots now looks generous based on satellite and recon.  CIMSS ADT suggests higher than eyeballing IR and recon, so I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian