• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

One of these days here in Gulfport (South Pinellas County in Tampa Bay) we will be slammed. The last Hermine was in the top 3 for cost and aggravation since I moved here in 2006. Irma takes the cake with a few thousand bucks of clean up and ruined food and other stuff. I was across the bay in Sun City Center for 2004 Charlie, Francis, and Jeane. All three were a thrill, but Jeane is the one that killed power for a few days long enough that everything in the freezer and fridge were destroyed.

Just made plans with my wife who is disabled. She will spend the time at the Assisted Living facility where my Dad is about five minuted from here and is shelter. My 87 year old Dad wants to be here with me to stay in the house and we will have enough beer to last a week. Even though only five blocks from the Boca Ciega Bay, we are on a 15 foot hump so likely not a storm surge threat, we hope.

By Monday Hermine is likely to be heading to west LA as a Cat whatever which will make me very angry...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Prospero said:

One of these days here in Gulfport (South Pinellas County in Tampa Bay) we will be slammed. The last Hermine was in the top 3 for cost and aggravation since I moved here in 2006. Irma takes the cake with a few thousand bucks of clean up and ruined food and other stuff. I was across the bay in Sun City Center for 2004 Charlie, Francis, and Jeane. All three were a thrill, but Jeane is the one that killed power for a few days long enough that everything in the freezer and fridge were destroyed.

Just made plans with my wife who is disabled. She will spend the time at the Assisted Living facility where my Dad is about five minuted from here and is shelter. My 87 year old Dad wants to be here with me to stay in the house and we will have enough beer to last a week. Even though only five blocks from the Boca Ciega Bay, we are on a 15 foot hump so likely not a storm surge threat, we hope.

By Monday Hermine is likely to be heading to west LA as a Cat whatever which will make me very angry...

Ian.  Louisana?  No model has that.

19 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

TD10 has been given the name Hermine. TD 9 will be Ian.

You almost wonder given the semi toss up status of both right now if this was a make it easier on the media move, not that Hermine is Isiashs or some other insanely hard name to pronounce. Would be funny if at 5pm or 8pm we get Ian anyway

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Yeah, obviously, that's a highly unlikely outcome. Has there ever been a storm that's made multiple landfalls in the US as a major? (excluding barrier islands etc.)

Andrew 5 in Florida and 3 in Louisiana comes to mind.  I know Donna, before I was born, brought hurricane force winds to every state Florida to Maine, I suspect more than 1 was MH

Edit- no on Donna except Florida

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Hurricane Hermione gonna wingardium leviosa that storm surge all up into Florida. 

I was a kid when Agnes spun out in the Gulf for a while in 1972 and pushed us the highest storm surge in the past decades for Tampa Bay. Remember watching the Washingtonian Palms swaying in the wind, but the large waves crashing in our driveway were a true memory for sure. The old Skyway Bridge was mostly under several feet of water. Our favorite seafood restaurant on Treasure Island was destroyed.

50 years and no other storm has beat it. And it was the 1920s since the last big surge.

2 minutes ago, Dbullsfan22 said:

Are you surprised? It probably rained more today than it will as a result of this storm in Tampa. 

Just now I got freaked out. NHC was pretty good last year even when I disagreed many times. 5 days out now, have to take things more serious.

In the last years since Irma, I think this is the first time we are inside the dark green, medium green, light green, and yellow. Or closer than I remember since 2017.

image.thumb.png.8daa46ad9176fb6721305ebde1e4f8ad.png

4 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Hype the media hype train now boyz! :bike:

Ultimate Hype Memory:

The morning Charlie was bee-lining for Tampa Bay in 2004, direct line in its target and I was in Sun City Center! Nobody expected a hard right turn (that I was aware of). Many friends left here and the beaches scrambling in traffic to get to Orlando where they were pummeled by Charlie around midnight worse than we saw around here. It was a treat for us as it passed just South of where I was during daylight so I could experience it outside watching tiles blow off roofs and shutters flying down the street like paper trash. We kept power until 3:00 am or so and it was only out a few hours. We were spared, but close enough it is a something I'll never forget.

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian