• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

There is really a fairly narrow area as far as location goes that would result in in a Major at US Landfall. Too far east there isn't enough time over the Caribbean water, longer time to cross Cuba, and limited time in the Florida Straits. Too far west into the central Gulf and dry air probably does a number on it. 

Just now, olafminesaw said:

Yeah, obviously, that's a highly unlikely outcome. Has there ever been a storm that's made multiple landfalls in the US as a major (excluding barrier islands etc.)

Andrew I guess is one example...I do not think there was one which hit FL from the Gulf though and then was a Cat 3 for NC/SC or New England...Donna may have been close 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madwx said:

the convection is tugging the center of the gyre and it seems to be heading due west now.  Will have to keep an eye on how long it stays below 15 degrees.  Most of the models hold it around the latitude until Saturday evening.  

If it does I assume a further west track?

2 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

If it does I assume a further west track?

There are some difference between how the GFS and Euro handle upper features beyond 48 hours, but staying around 15 N through tomorrow evening will give credence that a path somewhere between the GFS and Euro into the GOM is correct.

This is a fairly obvious point, but it’s hard to get the landfall city nailed down in advance when you have a hurricane moving  northward (NNE or NNW) toward the west coast of the peninsula part of Florida…given the angles along the coastline. Both Charley and Irma were forecast to landfall significantly further north less than 24 hours before the actual landfall. If this storm is going to the panhandle instead, it’s an easier forecast. 

• Like 2

The track and intensity are far ranging. Tracks have been getting better over the past decade, intensity not so much. 
Should take away the Globals are coming to a consensus. A placement off the SW coast of FL in the Gulf. GFS compared to the EURO in regards D5 and beyond handle the steering influences differently, M101

Best case (for those not wanting a strong storm) is for the core to stay far enough west of Florida and the storm slowing down considerably and weakening.  Lots of dry continental air could wrap in.  I don't see a strong trough yanking this northward up the east coast unlike what is happening now with Fiona. 

• Like 1

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian