• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

If you want a strong landfall you want this to get pulled up ahead of the trough and moving briskly in a NE direction into landfall so it’s going with the shear vector. You also don’t want a system going into the big bend area of Florida where there is extensive shelf water. A Charley like track would yield your strongest LF, in the situation as modeled. If this gets left behind the trough, it will be encircled in dry stable air, moving slower over shelf waters, and subject to NW shear. That’s why the GFS is showing rapid weakening.
 It is FAR too early to discuss these specifics. The storm isn’t even formed yet and the trough interaction is long range. My gut says whatever forms will end up further east, maybe Euro type track, as that has been the trend this year for models to go too far west then correct east, especially with unusually low heights on the east coast. Let’s monitor cyclone formation before nitpicking intensity at long range. Happy tracking. 
Forward motion matters with respect to the Pandhandle and shelf waters as well. Sure, if the potential TC is intense but gets left behind prior to landfall, it would stall, upwell itself plus entrain continental airmass. However, if it remains at a decent northerly forward motion into the panhandle, shelf waters are still currently running hot. There has yet to be a significant cold front pass through or at least one to bring down SSTs. So the shallow shelf would be more than sufficient to fuel a Cat 5 just like Michael or Camille. Of course, a hook to the right, 300mb flow, trough ventilation, structure, trough bypass, all speculation for a week or more and we don't even have a TC yet.
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Superstorm93 said:

That's honestly what I'm betting on at this point. I think continued development over the next 72 hours remains slow.

Yep, max layer shear stays 25-30kt for a good 48-72 hr before relaxing. Development will be slow and convection likely to be mostly relegated to the southwestern part of the circulation. Could easily see a south-of-forecast-track bias due to that shear.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Yep, max layer shear stays 25-30kt for a good 48-72 hr before relaxing. Development will be slow and convection likely to be mostly relegated to the southwestern part of the circulation. Could easily see a south-of-forecast-track bias due to that shear.

There were quite a few members taking this into the Yucatán 

Forward motion matters with respect to the Pandhandle and shelf waters as well. Sure, if the potential TC is intense but gets left behind prior to landfall, it would stall, upwell itself plus entrain continental airmass. However, if it remains at a decent northerly forward motion into the panhandle, shelf waters are still currently running hot. There has yet to be a significant cold front pass through or at least one to bring down SSTs. So the shallow shelf would be more than sufficient to fuel a Cat 5 just like Michael or Camille. Of course, a hook to the right, 300mb flow, trough ventilation, structure, trough bypass, all speculation for a week or more and we don't even have a TC yet.

Close to or record high temps forecast along the northern gulf coast over the next few days. Low 90’s along the coast & mid to upper 90’s inland. Here is my NWS pinpoint:

Today
Sunny, with a high near 91. East wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 74. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight.

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 92. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 73. West wind around 10 mph becoming north after midnight.

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 90. North wind 5 to 10 mph.

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

If you want a strong landfall you want this to get pulled up ahead of the trough and moving briskly in a NE direction into landfall so it’s going with the shear vector. You also don’t want a system going into the big bend area of Florida where there is extensive shelf water. A Charley like track would yield your strongest LF, in the situation as modeled. If this gets left behind the trough, it will be encircled in dry stable air, moving slower over shelf waters, and subject to NW shear. That’s why the GFS is showing rapid weakening.

It is FAR too early to discuss these specifics. The storm isn’t even formed yet and the trough interaction is long range. My gut says whatever forms will end up further east, maybe Euro type track, as that has been the trend this year for models to go too far west then correct east, especially with unusually low heights on the east coast. Let’s monitor cyclone formation before nitpicking intensity at long range. Happy tracking. 

I don't think the GFS changes SST/OHC based on winds as longer range climate models do.  But I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

The closest thing to an LLC I see will hit Trinidad, if not Venezuela, and there are dry air arc clouds.  It may be a monster in a week, but it doesn't look like 70% 2 day odds to me.

Too late for them to lower odd, but I absolutely agree. Best shot for significant development will be if/when this gets past Jamaica. 

Everything else is basically conjecture at this point. 

58 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

Too late for them to lower odd, but I absolutely agree. Best shot for significant development will be if/when this gets past Jamaica. 

Everything else is basically conjecture at this point. 

Agreed.  Best chances not until approaching western third of Caribbean.  System will have lots of latitude to gain to make it cleanly through the Yucatan Channel.  Honestly the only sure thing is it likely doing little next 2 - 3 days.  Everything past that is conjecture to say the least.  Interesting to track and follow but any model solution past 3 days at this point should be taken as "hmmmm, interesting".  Personally I'd favor the more southern model tracks through the Caribbean as of now due mainly to low latitude starting point and northerly shear being produced by Fiona.  Upper ridge building in wake of Fiona should prevent this from gaining latitude in the near term and also aid in keeping it on a more westward track.

11 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Agreed.  Best chances not until approaching western third of Caribbean.  System will have lots of latitude to gain to make it cleanly through the Yucatan Channel.  Honestly the only sure thing is it likely doing little next 2 - 3 days.  Everything past that is conjecture to say the least.  Interesting to track and follow but any model solution past 3 days at this point should be taken as "hmmmm, interesting".  Personally I'd favor the more southern model tracks through the Caribbean as of now due mainly to low latitude starting point and northerly shear being produced by Fiona.  Ridge building in wake of Fiona should prevent this from gaining latitude in the near term.

Imagine the potential if this does come further W towards NOLA

tchp_conditions_latest.png

3 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Euro sticking to landfall around Ft. Meyers. This storm looks far bigger than Charley and impacts look to be throughout South Florida including Miami metro, similar to Irma.

Screenshot_20220921-144351_Chrome.jpg

That is still a fairly large westward move from 00Z which had it going right over both of our houses here in Boca.

As we move closer, there are two potential solutions developing:

- Solution 1 misses the connection on the first trough, causing the storm to instead slowly move NNW until eventual landfall on the N GOM cost (still likely Florida Panhandle, but some potential of a Alabama or MS landfall is on the table)

- Solution 2 does not miss the connection of the first trough, and instead the storm is yanked NE across SE FL.  What's more concerning than even that, the trough does not take the storm out to sea and instead leaves it heading due North into a building ridge above.  Even if it misses S FL to the east, it just means an East coast strike further up the coast.

In short:  US is in SERIOUS trouble with this one.

• Weenie 4

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian