Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

5 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Use IKE. Integrated kinetic energy.

Facing a Dire Storm Forecast in Florida, Officials Delayed Evacuation https://nyti.ms/3SKlqzP

"But while officials along much of that coastline responded with orders to evacuate on Monday, emergency managers in Lee County held off, pondering during the day whether to tell people to flee, but then deciding to see how the forecast evolved overnight."

This is pretty damming if its the whole story

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Facing a Dire Storm Forecast in Florida, Officials Delayed Evacuation https://nyti.ms/3SKlqzP

"But while officials along much of that coastline responded with orders to evacuate on Monday, emergency managers in Lee County held off, pondering during the day whether to tell people to flee, but then deciding to see how the forecast evolved overnight."

This is pretty damming if its the whole story

I sincerely hope the media is exaggerating that story or they reported BS and didn’t do their homework like always

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Some of the Cat 5 landfall talk seems pretty silly. It may have been a cat 5 a few hours west of landfall in the western eyewall, but there was no evidence of it being a cat 5 at landfall that I saw. Michael actually had near 140 kt SFMR near landfall. At least one of the reasons they didn't upgrade operationally for Michael was that the SFMR does have a high bias in shallow water. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

I sincerely hope the media is exaggerating that story or they reported BS and didn’t do their homework like always

I'm with ya. There's definately political undertones, however, at first glance there appears to be some truth to this

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Some of the Cat 5 landfall talk seems pretty silly. It may have been a cat 5 a few hours west of landfall in the western eyewall, but there was no evidence of it being a cat 5 at landfall that I saw. Michael actually had near 140 kt SFMR near landfall. At least one of the reasons they didn't upgrade operationally for Michael was that the SFMR does have a high bias in shallow water. 

I agree. Ian likely hit Cat 5 just prior LF, however, there was nothing at LF - in my opinion- to suggest he was a cat 5 at LF. 

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

Fairly certain there’s been questions with Michael too. I remember when Tim Marshall surveyed the damage after Michael he noted he couldn’t find proof winds ever exceeded 140mph. His survey didn’t yield any definitive proof either and that was because as he noted a lot of the structures in the panhandle are pre-1995 and were constructed poorly. With Ian, he caused catastrophic damage to an area that has modern building codes and an area that was rebuilt after Charley. We will see what his survey says and what NOAA decides to do in the months to come. In the end NOAA went against the survey and still rated Michael a Cat 5. Also we are still not seeing the whole picture with Ian and it’s still in the early stages of the aftermath.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

CNN’s current count is 64 with an update of 35 from Lee County today.

From what I understand official numbers are not updated until next of kin are notified. So it probably will still go up some more, but not at much as the Lee County Sheriff was suggesting the morning after the storm.

• Like 1

Not to at all diminish the death toll, one is too many but I think this will likely be the costliest hurricane to hit Florida.  Populated area, slow moving and intense at landfall.  Swath of flooding as it crossed the state and some very expensive real estate in the way.  We'll see hot it goes but for certain will fall into the top 3.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Not to at all diminish the death toll, one is too many but I think this will likely be the costliest hurricane to hit Florida.  Populated area, slow moving and intense at landfall.  Swath of flooding as it crossed the state and some very expensive real estate in the way.  We'll see hot it goes but for certain will fall into the top 3.

Seen a new estimate today, $63 billion for Florida. Again that’s mostly for damage caused in SW FL and not the flooding damage through central and eastern sections of the state. I’m curious as to the total cost Ian will have inflicted overall. 2 US landfalls with extensive flooding which should put him in the Top-3 for US hurricanes. And there’s Cuba and we still don’t know a lot about his impacts down there yet. Ian has a shot at being one of the costliest Atlantic hurricanes.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MANDA said:

With the possibility of a major real estate downturn, especially in the ballooned pricing of Florida, there is a chance many of those houses are not rebuilt/fixed in the near term....especially the non insured and ocean facing ones.   During the housing downturn of 2008 the houses on Anna Maria Island were sold for huge discounts.

• Like 2

Hearing people on TV trying to argue that Ian "should have" been a Category 5, and maybe they would then more would have heeded warnings.  But I think it's important to reinforce the idea that hurricanes don't have to be "Cat 5" to be lethal, that lower designations are also dangerous.  Ian will be an important example to be cited in the future.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pellice said:

Hearing people on TV trying to argue that Ian "should have" been a Category 5, and maybe they would then more would have heeded warnings.  But I think it's important to reinforce the idea that hurricanes don't have to be "Cat 5" to be lethal, that lower designations are also dangerous.  Ian will be an important example to be cited in the future.

Yea, I think the argument is sort of silly.   Sanibel is getting swamped with any decent Hurricane taking a similar path.  

Looking back to the 0Z 9/25 runs at where the models had FL landfalls:

0Z 9/25:
ICON Venice
CMC Cedar Key
GFS Destin
Euro Sarasota
UKMET Port Charlotte

12Z 9/25:
ICON Sarasota
CMC Apalachee Bay
GFS Apalachee Bay
Euro Tampa
UKMET Venice

0Z 9/26:
ICON Venice
CMC Apalachee Bay
GFS Apalachee Bay
Euro Cedar Key
UKMET Port Charlotte

12Z 9/26:
ICON Tampa
CMC Apalachicola
GFS Tampa
Euro Big Bend
UKMET Port Charlotte

0Z 9/27:
ICON Venice
CMC Big Bend
GFS Sarasota
Euro Venice
UKMET just N of Ft Myers

12Z 9/27:
ICON Port Charlotte
CMC Tampa
GFS just N of Port Charlotte
Euro Port Charlotte
UKMET 20 miles S of Ft. Myers

0Z 9/28:
ICON 15 miles S of Port Charlotte
CMC Venice
GFS Port Charlotte
Euro Port Charlotte
UKMET Port Charlotte

My grades on FL landfall only (i.e., excluding SC landfall) for 9/25-8 runs:

UKMET A-
ICON B
Euro C-
GFS D
CMC F

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Pellice said:

And here presents another difficulty no matter what we use: saffir simpson, IKE, severity index, etc. The media is problem #1 here. They misunderstand how hurricanes are rated by the SS and often times only focus on gusts without explaining sustained winds and how they are dangerous. Another issue are all these media outlets incorporating their own rating scales (low, medium, high/minor, moderate, extreme). Often they will create their own tracks/paths for these storms and it either conflicts with what the NHC has and/or they overlay their forecast on top of NHC's cone. The media also does a poor job concerning the cone NHC uses because they don't use it properly and explain to their audience what the cone actually is. Impacts are felt outside the cone and the media makes it seem its the opposite.

46 minutes ago, Pellice said:

And just like Katrina, outside of politics and politicians, the media is at fault here with Ian.

Another issue was the media was so focused on the possibly of a direct hit on Tampa. Once Ian kept moving to the right of the track and it was clear Tampa was going to avoid the direct hit/surge, the "hype train" of how dangerous Ian could be got dialed down a bit. Obviously the intensification the night before landfall that wasn't forecasted also played a role as far as danger perception to the public.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Another issue was the media was so focused on the possibly of a direct hit on Tampa. Once Ian kept moving to the right of the track and it was clear Tampa was going to avoid the direct hit/surge, the "hype train" of how dangerous Ian could be got dialed down a bit. Obviously the intensification the night before landfall that wasn't forecasted also played a role as far as danger perception to the public.

I remember with Katrina the media paid little mind to MS/AL coastline ahead of Katrina. When we started to see the devastation, of course the media started changing their tone. Just similar mistakes being made here, media only out for the hype/ratings and hone in on major cities without covering all the areas to be impacted. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MANDA said:

It would seem the loss of life with Ian in the US will be +- some 1700 fewer souls lost than Katrina.  1836 is Katrina's official death toll. 

6 hours ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

There’s not

My whole family is in Cape Coral so I was watching the local news and reading the local newspaper down there starting last Sunday and was aghast that they decided to have school on Monday. It was like “no big deal, folks… carry on”

• Confused 1

I almost never communicate with them so I completely forgot that I know an older couple who lives in Estero, FL, which is between Fort Myers and Naples.  They live a couple miles or so from the Gulf and have a little elevation, so they didn't evacuate.  All in all they fared well, but I'm sure there are people who died in that town.  Just depends where you're at.

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

Agree with this. And the sad part to me is that a lot of people actually evacuated from Tampa to Fort Myers. If the message from the beginning had been "no where on the west coast of Florida is safe" I wonder how different the outcome would have been. Obviously I have no clue if a Tampa evacuee lost their life or not. But that doesnt matter to my point. The message should have been "leave the Florida west coast now". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This may just be a Global roll call but still...lets look at this piece of info bolded and extra category below. 

3 hours ago, GaWx said:

0Z 9/25:
ICON Venice
CMC Cedar Key
GFS Destin
Euro Sarasota
UKMET Port Charlotte

NAM Naples 

0Z 9/25:

Which model above had the storm leaving the Florida coast south of Daytona?  

Nam

(Do not have the Euro that far back but none of the others did except maybe the Euro)

Nam Grade:  B+ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pellice said:

They're just looking for any excuse so they don't have to blame themselves. There's pretty much no difference between a 155mph category 4 and a 160mph category 5 hurricane. Plus just knowing the category number isn't always enough information of what you should do or how you should prepare. This is just them refusing to admit their mistakes and the fact they didn't bother to look at information of what this storm was capable of.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, USCG RS said:

I agree. Ian likely hit Cat 5 just prior LF, however, there was nothing at LF - in my opinion- to suggest he was a cat 5 at LF. 

It really is splitting hairs though.  I find it ridiculous that 157 mph is considered minimum for Cat 5 when the information is output in 5 mph increments. 111 mph for Cat 3 is even worse.

We should just use multiple of 10s for categories.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pellice said:

Question is when will people learn the lessons these storms are trying to teach us?