Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

53 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Unless they’re building sea walls after this, one day the devastation will just happen again on those barrier islands/surge zones. Not sure what building code can keep the building from taking horrible water damage. Saw it firsthand after Sandy, buildings from the outside looked not terrible but inside- totally wrecked and in many cases needed to be demolished. The barrier islands may be easier, in those cases the demolishing was already taken care of. 

42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Codes work against wind, not water.

Honestly, building codes could work for water, however, those on the water would not want to build according to the codes which would be needed. The aesthetic would be "ruined," and/or it is prohibitively expensive to build to these codes as you would have so much unusable living space which you would need to find a way to make aesthetically pleasing, yet of no further use square footage/living space wise. 

19 hours ago, Crocodile23 said:

Speechless:o

This video made it to Reddit and someone commented that their brother, girlfriend, and two dogs were in that red house/business during the storm. You can actually see someone open the door near the beginning of the video. Apparently they all survived, but were swept out and clung to palm trees. Here's the post.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Honestly, building codes could work for water, however, those on the water would not want to build according to the codes which would be needed. The aesthetic would be "ruined," and/or it is prohibitively expensive to build to these codes as you would have so much unusable living space which you would need to find a way to make aesthetically pleasing, yet of no further use square footage/living space wise. 

In Long Beach we have hundreds or more homes now that are garages on the first floor and the living area on the 2nd/3rd. The bottom garage floor is mostly concrete. Either that or the home will have to be on stilts, which isn't "pleasing" but either that or it'll be uninsurable. Optimally these barrier islands just wouldn't be rebuilt but we're talking about FL here.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Cyg12 said:

This video made it to Reddit and someone commented that their brother, girlfriend, and two dogs were in that red house/business during the storm. You can actually see someone open the door near the beginning of the video. Apparently they all survived, but were swept out and clung to palm trees. Here's the post.

Stories like this are while I am hopeful the death toll won't be too high, many of the people the Lee County Sheriff was thinking about found some way to safety. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Yeah, I was referring to the newer houses built that are not on stilts. A lot of new construction will be fine against 3s and even 4s if done properly.  But the same home might be surge prone. That's all I meant.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, I was referring to the newer houses built that are not on stilts. A lot of new construction will be fine against 3s and even 4s if done properly.  But the same home might be surge prone. That's all I meant.

No, I understand, however, the new homes should be placed on stilts. Unfortunately, the architects and homeowners have no desire to and this is where codes need to be more stringent. In fact, I do not even think codes need to be increased. What -I believe- should happen is you should be given the choice: build on stilts OR you can build how you like, however, Insurance Companies do not have to Insure the property (perhaps even the liability) on the structure. Same thing with Flood Insurance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SevereStudios has some pretty good cams again today of surge in SC for anyone interested. Pawleys Island seems to getting the worst of it so far. 

Can someone link it? I don’t have it saved.

Ian definitely build a nice surge on its north side based on buoy readings I have been looking at. That easterly fetch with the high pressure gradient is a very rare setup this far south. Something more like you would see in New England during some of the classic nor’easters. Sc is going to be another major damage area. As JM and I have noted as we both lived in Long Beach Ny, salt water flooding in itself is a disaster as you need to gut down to the studs to properly repair

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Can someone link it? I don’t have it saved.

Ian definitely build a nice surge on its north side based on buoy readings I have been looking at. That easterly fetch with the high pressure gradient is a very rare setup this far south. Something more like you would see in New England during some of the classic nor’easters. Sc is going to be another major damage area. As JM and I have noted as we both lived in Long Beach Ny, salt water flooding in itself is a disaster as you need to gut down to the studs to properly repair

Here's one: https://www.severestudios.com/storm-chasers/jordan.hall.html

36 minutes ago, ATDoel said:

absolutely incorrect.  You can build homes that are essentially surge proof.  You sink reinforced concrete piers into the bedrock, raise the first floor above the surge zone, and install break away walls on the ground level.  As long as you keep your utilities above the surge zone, even a catastrophic flood would do minimal damage to a house built this way.

What you can't do is build a normal slab on grade home and expect it to survive storm surge.

Got it, just have a 15 foot concreate raised base on the waterfront which I am sure is allowed by Florida zoning.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Got it, just have a 15 foot concreate raised base on the waterfront which I am sure is allowed by Florida zoning.  

No, why would you want a 15' raised slab?  Build the house on piers, leave the slab on grade.  You can install break away walls on the ground floor so the house will "look" fairly normal and you'll even have some usable space down there.  Keep all the main parts of the house on the 2nd floor on top of the first floor assembly and you're good to go.

Surge comes in, your walls break away around your garage, damage is minimal, house survives.  Easy, it just cost a bit more to build this way and you become more limited in your architecture.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Thinking more in the form of winds. 

It's fine, whatever.   It's more like a high end TS.

That’s always been my issue with the way we classify storms. It shouldn’t be based solely on winds. Ian currently has the surge potential of a normal cat 2 based on IKE, this will be a major disaster for SC. I think it makes a run for costliest hurricane of all time