• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

Still Reminds me a lot of the perfect storm. More Extra tropical, then more sub tropical then more tropical. It was in the “grey” in terms of classification the whole time—shades of everything at once.

What’s cool about this, is it’s the closest example of the perfect storm since (in my opinion), except this time we get to see what would have happened if it made a close approach to land and ultimately landfall.

Key difference will be that Ian had less time to churn up the Atlantic, so the wave factor won’t be *as* impressive. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Maybe I’m wrong about this but the southeast coast doesn’t see a 980 mb coastal nor’easter though, even in peak baroclincity season… 980 or lower caliber doesn’t materialize until the mid Atlantic and northeast. Might make for greater than expected impacts…

Pretty cool. 

Yes, but the southeast coast encounters high category hurricanes, whereas the mid Atlantic and northeast do not. I think they’ll handle it.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

This thing is virtually a coastal storm.

I agree.  Big sprawling ocean storm bumping up against strong high pressure aiding in keeping the winds up.  No real change as far as impacts no matter what we call it but nothing tropical about this in my opinion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MANDA said:

I agree.  Big sprawling ocean storm bumping up against strong high pressure aiding in keeping the winds up.  No real change as far as impacts no matter what we call it but nothing tropical about this in my opinion.

That may be a distinction without a difference.

I always find it funny when people try to compare them to say which one is "worse"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Still Reminds me a lot of the perfect storm. More Extra tropical, then more sub tropical then more tropical. It was in the “grey” in terms of classification the whole time—shades of everything at once.

What’s cool about this, is it’s the closest example of the perfect storm since (in my opinion), except this time we get to see what would have happened if it made a close approach to land and ultimately landfall.

Key difference will be that Ian had less time to churn up the Atlantic, so the wave factor won’t be *as* impressive. 

That sounds really interesting! Do you mind going into more detail about the synoptic setup of both and how they compare?

9 minutes ago, MANDA said:

There's some cold air in that high pressure too - there were some frost advisories up overnight and earlier this morning for those directly under it too.

• Like 1

6Z UKMET landfalls at Myrtle Beach at 5PM EDT. UKMET has been nothing short of stellar since the 0Z 9/25 run and better than any other model since then! Let's see if it can earn an exclamation mark for its performance here with a near Myrtle Beach landfall:

8256243A-2AD2-4EB7-AC24-2B7D72AAC581.thumb.png.5fec890cb63e817358ea4e0329629b56.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marsman said:

I was just about to mention this. Lots of planes in the air doing surveys per FlightRadar24. US Customs is also out over the Gulf, my guess is debris survey or stranded boaters.

Its a myriad of aircraft with remote sensing capabilities for debris management, damage assessment, and getting the waterways reopened.