Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

7 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Amazing wind across the Deep South with Ian & pressure gradients.

f0c21861d9b02d51d7968dfe75e94109.jpg

How much does the pressure difference add to the power of the storm? So I gather that's what a "baroclinic zone" is?

Hard for me to quantify just how large that effect would be in this situation for example. Does the NHC factor that into the wind rating for Ian, or is it just sort of an additional influence that adds some additional power to the perceived surface winds?

Thanks to anyone, trying to wrap my head around this though I understand how a pressure gradient generates wind.

22 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

How much does the pressure difference add to the power of the storm? So I gather that's what a "baroclinic zone" is?

Hard for me to quantify just how large that effect would be in this situation for example. Does the NHC factor that into the wind rating for Ian, or is it just sort of an additional influence that adds some additional power to the perceived surface winds?

Thanks to anyone, trying to wrap my head around this though I understand how a pressure gradient generates wind.

Tropical lows, hybrid lows and polar lows all will produce higher wind if there is tighter pressure gradient.  Alicia almost 30 years ago had 1014 mb pressure when named, it was in an area of abnormally high pressure.  The gradient between a strong cold ridge in the NE and a developing NE-ster is why the winds are so high to the N and W of the cyclone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Agreed with the sentiment expressed earlier by @GaWx, feel like a more east landfall is the way. Also those rain bands just offshore north of the center seem really nasty and probably have a broad field of 50 knot+ winds.

There have been a few runs/progs that showed a southern NC landfall. 

18 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

8L2SUoo.png

The UKMET track swinging it south and probably back around to Florida is interesting, in a slapstick "Coyote getting repeatedly hit by boulders while chasing Roadrunner" kind of way. 

A cursory glance through historical track records seems to indicate that has never occurred, so it seems unlikely. Hopefully it follows the set of tracks that show it landfalling and then shooting into the Atlantic. 

225222cbc459bb32da4c9dbcf76fa21b.jpg
Just when I thought I was making it through unscathed this happened, then another tree smashed our power pole, leaving us with no power or water. Already lost septic due the standing water so for my first hurricane ever (been through 9), appears we’ll have to relocate.

Of course, the water at the entrance to our neighborhood is standing over the road and the power lines snapped and landed in it so not sure that’s the right move either…

And still I am one of the very lucky ones compared to what I’m finding out from friends even here in the Orlando area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

3 minutes ago, Clyde said:

225222cbc459bb32da4c9dbcf76fa21b.jpg
Just when I thought I was making it through unscathed this happened, then another tree smashed our power pole, leaving us with no power or water. Already lost septic due the standing water so for my first hurricane ever (been through 9), appears we’ll have to relocate.

Of course, the water at the entrance to our neighborhood is standing over the road and the power lines snapped and landed in it so not sure that’s the right move either…

And still I am one of the very lucky ones compared to what I’m finding out from friends even here in the Orlando area.

Emergency Manager POV 

Stay put until you are sure you can safely travel to your destination. 

Power lines can easily be renergized by improperly hooked up generators and may even still be live in some cases. 

Standing water may not only be at the entrance to your neighborhood. Likewise, water can be energized. Having served in many a disaster zone, you realize standing water harbors many nasty things, including electricity. Likewise, metal guard rails can be energized many miles away (over 20+ if memory serves correct) from the downed power line. 

EMS/Fire/LE is likely overwhelmed right now and you do not want to be another one needing help as it may take quite some time. 

As long as your location is safe, I would ride out inconvenience until you are sure the path to another location is safe to travel. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MattPetrulli said:

Agreed with the sentiment expressed earlier by @GaWx, feel like a more east landfall is the way. Also those rain bands just offshore north of the center seem really nasty and probably have a broad field of 50 knot+ winds.

I'm favoring the 12Z UKMET track (just S of Myrtle Beach) over the 12Z Euro (just S of CHS) for the 2nd landfall. As of 2PM EDT, whereas the Euro had it at 29.1N, 80.0W, the better performing (for Ian) UKMET had Ian at 28.9N, 80.0W, which is exactly where the NHC had it then. So, advantage goes to UKMET as of then.

Looking ahead, both the 11 AM NHC and the 12Z Euro have Ian going no further west than 79.9W while still east of N FL. But the 12Z UKMET gets it further east to 79.4W. That will be a key. Will Ian while still east of N FL get close to the 79.4W of the UKMET or will it lag behind and be closer to the NHC/Euro longitudes of 79.9W? 

Really good article from Jeff Masters and Bob Henson

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/09/ians-rampage-across-florida-leaves-a-trail-of-ruin/

Dry air on the south side of Ian’s circulation limited the amount of rain that fell to the right side of its track, but the hurricane’s intensity, large size, and relatively slow forward speed (30% slower than average) allowed it to dump prodigious amounts of rain along the left side of the track.

Thirteen river gauges were at major flood stage on Thursday afternoon, and four rivers or creeks were at their highest flood stages on record. A CoCoRaHS site near New Smyrna Beach recorded an astounding 28.60 inches of rain in 27 hours.

The storm surge at the Fort Myers tide gauge brought a water level that peaked at 7.25 feet Wednesday, smashing the previous record of 3.41 feet above mean higher high water (MHHW) set in Tropical Storm Keith (November 23, 1988).

Before the tide gauge at Naples went out of service during the storm around 1 p.m. Wednesday, it recorded a peak water level above MHHW of 6.18 feet, far above the record since 1965 of 4.02 feet set in Hurricane Irma (September 10, 2017).

As of 3 p.m. EDT on Thursday, September 29, Ian had knocked out power to over 2.6 million customers in Florida – approximately 24% of the state’s customers – according to poweroutage.us. In coastal Georgia, Ian’s winds were already beginning to topple trees and power lines on Thursday afternoon, with 8,000 customers without power at 3 p.m. EDT.

Ian will also be interacting with a broad frontal zone across the Southeast, so it could take on more characteristics of a midlatitude storm over time. The frontal zone will help increase onshore winds ahead of Ian, boosting its storm surge potential, as will the effect of the seasonal king tides.

Ian no longer has an eyewall with a focused extreme wind maximum, so the exact location of landfall will not be a critical factor determining damage. 

The National Weather Service tidal gauge forecast at Fort Pulaski, Georgia, near Savannah, is predicting a crest of 10.9 feet with the midday-Friday high tide. This would be the third highest crest on record, topped only by 12.56 feet from Hurricane Matthew in 2016, and 12.24 feet from Irma in 2017. At the forecast peak, Tybee Island would experience widespread significant flooding and would be cut off from the mainland.

In South Carolina, Charleston Harbor is predicted to see a crest of 8.7 feet with the midday Friday high tide, which would rank among the ten highest crests on record there. The predicted crest of 8.9 feet at Myrtle Beach would be that location’s fifth highest on record – far below the 16 feet recorded during Hurricane Hugo in 1989, but still enough to produce widespread street flooding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good article, and same point made by several NWS discussions and NHC, the eye location and landfall are really secondary focuses given the diffused nature of the wind. 50 miles doesn't make much difference from a wind perspective either way, more of a surge potential determining factor.

Also of note -- NHC calls this a hybrid system, and a non-classical hurricane.