Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Sandy more or less destroyed the power grid from Tom’s River up to Brooklyn/Queens and most areas had power back in about 7-10 days. Now a days you have massive mobilizations of crews from out of state, the power wouldn’t be out for more than a few weeks.

My town had no power for a month because of the power infrastructure problem FL will be dealing with. Places that didn’t flood in Sandy did get the power back in a week or so, and crews from IN and MO were in my town working on it. In areas that had saltwater intrusion into any power infrastructure it likely needs to be rebuilt entirely. Anything electric/metallic, the salt water destroys. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

what is it that you're looking for? how can we make this a more enjoyable experience for you? 

I already asked: can we please make 1) a thread for post-FL landfall discussion, etc... etc..; and 2) a current obs/model discussion thread?

I'm still in this path, and have to sift through 40 posts about FL damage, climate ramblings, etc. to see any discussion on future Ian.

• Like 11

Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

I already asked: can we please make 1) a thread for post-FL landfall discussion, etc... etc..; and 2) a current obs/model discussion thread?

I think its all fine to be here. Ian is back over water, heading for the southeast coast. If you need specifics, you should mosey on over to your subforum, I hear there is a thread there. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I'm still in this path, and have to sift through 40 posts about FL damage, climate ramblings, etc. to see any discussion on future Ian.

I too will be impacted by its remnants this weekend, but you don't see me asking for information about that here. I go to my subforum. You should do that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Sandy more or less destroyed the power grid from Tom’s River up to Brooklyn/Queens and most areas had power back in about 7-10 days. Now a days you have massive mobilizations of crews from out of state, the power wouldn’t be out for more than a few weeks.

Sandy wasn't a Cat 3 or higher hurricane. ....the damage would be far more extensive.

Just now, mappy said:

I too will be impacted by its remnants this weekend, but you don't see me asking for information about that here. I go to my subforum. You should do that. 

Forgive me for querying "Wonder what Ian will be up to this weekend", logically finding "Tropical Headquarters --> Hurricane Ian" and hoping it might be the place

• Like 9

Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

Forgive me for querying "Wonder what Ian will be up to this weekend", logically finding "Tropical Headquarters --> Hurricane Ian" and hoping it might be the place

And its still being discussed. Just scroll by the posts that dont interest you and youll be okay. Promise :) 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

873 posts and a 5 year old account make me doubt that this was the process you used to find this thread.

No one... I mean absolutely no one... should be using social media to make decisions. We have an entire agency devoted to providing that information. This place is for the average person to discuss the weather, it's impacts, and related topics. It so happens that a few mets have nothing better to do with their time and like to join in, too. It gets off topic at times. Cope. No one is forcing you to be here.

Imagine complaining about "dirtying" up a thread while.... being guilty of the same. :blink:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Sandy wasn't a Cat 3 or higher hurricane. ....the damage would be far more extensive.

It had the pressure of a Cat 3, huge overall size and the funneling effect of NY Harbor and back bays to channel in the surge. The winds weren’t Cat 3 level but the same energy was just spread over a larger area. The surge was devastating for millions of people. Actual Hurricane Gloria made landfall in my town and was nowhere near as bad, as well as actual borderline TS/Hurricane Irene. 

Again there’s no magic delineator between “non-tropical” and “tropical” that defines how dangerous a storm is. It’s why so many changes were made to the NHC products after Sandy. My hometown on a barrier island had scores of people that stayed because they heard “Sandy won’t even be a hurricane” when it gets here. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Sandy was about as extreme as you will ever get up this way. Numerous gusts over 90mph for many hours. A true tropical major couldn’t survive up this way.

Locally we had hours of 50-60 mph gust before the 80-90 mph gusts came in-the former certainly weakened many limbs and trees, the bigger gusts finished them off.

• Like 2

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Sandy was about as extreme as you will ever get up this way. Numerous gusts over 90mph for many hours. A true tropical major couldn’t survive up this way.

I'm not saying Sandy wasn't a very impactful storm BUT I still believe a CAT 3 or higher in SNE would cause even worse devastation. The original post was about some individuals in the SNE  subforum who want/wish for a Cat 3 or higher to hit SNE. 

8 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Believe me, no one is using this thread full of nut-jobs to make decisions. It's really more for ease of aggregation of information (ie. models, met commentary, etc.) in one place. I really don't care what Bob Smith in Philly thinks is going to occur.

Ah, forgive me, Lord Stanton.

While I fear it may be too late for me, I pray that you take mercy on my family for disrupting your personal aggregation of information.

GMAFB and get over yourself.  Make a folder of links in your browser like the rest of us. Or, better yet, get off AmWx, learn some html, and put your own site together. It isn't difficult. Also, I'd caution against using social media met hurricane commentary from a broadcast met in Bumfuck, Alaska for anything other than entertainment (No offense meant to any mets, here. Just, being a met != being a tropical expert )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1