Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

People here are debating a forecasted track of Ian from last week which is well beyond 3 days.  Here is an NHC forecast from 48-60 hours ago.    If we are going to talk cone then there is not much to discuss.  I thought the disco was on actual landfall and track of the core.   No model that I noticed had Ian escaping Florida until a couple days ago which explains the track the NHC was putting forth.  

image.png.f60a4a0aa69d0493c260f0ba7df7c0c1.png

Messenger ticks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The president has been known to make gaffes (just stating a fact).  Let's wait for actual numbers from officials.

I agree as I do not think the fatality total will be anywhere near the high numbers on the list, I just wanted to point out the hyperbole being said without facts even being known. 

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

This has all the hallmarks of a STC. The wind limits are not in surface pressure, but in radius. Broader impacts. 

And not to let guards down, but the perfect storm was ~980 mb. Ian looks like will be similar in intensity. Stronger surface HP than in this case, but close enough to mention.

I know that name will take on alarmist connotations but it's a good reference bc so many know about it.

4 minutes ago, Thrasher Fan said:

From the Lee County Sheriff's Office... 

EVery now and then you see a home that is completely obliterated. Is this due to construction type? or did we happen to have small tornadoes spawning in the area on top of the wind and surge ?

From the aerials I have seen of Fort Myers and Port Charlotte at least, roofs of well built homes are almost all intact. even the manufactured homes in Port Charlotte fared much better than in Charley (though there was some obviously structural damage to some). From a wind damage point of view so far, the more stringent building codes so far seem do be doing their job. Of course wind-based codes don't help too much when faced with storm surge.

Interesting article on how some Floridians could be waiting weeks, or longer, to get power back due to a combination of how much of the grid is destroyed vs salvageable as well as supply chain shortages of electrical equipment like transformers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/29/ians-mass-blackouts-supply-chain-00059389

The article mentions the wait time for some electrical equipment is currently 2-3 years and this means electric utilities have to use their backup supplies or swap equipment with other providers. Of course that simply further depletes supplies putting more strain on the system before the next hurricane or wildfire or tornado strikes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

And to think some individuals in the SNE subforum want a Cat 3 or higher to hit SNE...As the old saying goes" Be careful what you wish for"..

The 1938 cane in today's times would be truly catostrophic-power grid down for months etc not to mention all the trees down

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The 1938 cane in today's times would be truly catostrophic-power grid down for months etc not to mention all the trees down

Sandy more or less destroyed the power grid from Tom’s River up to Brooklyn/Queens and most areas had power back in about 7-10 days. Now a days you have massive mobilizations of crews from out of state, the power wouldn’t be out for more than a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Sandy more or less destroyed the power grid from Tom’s River up to Brooklyn/Queens and most areas had power back in about 7-10 days. Now a days you have massive mobilizations of crews from out of state, the power wouldn’t be out for more than a few weeks.

Maybe but alot of CT/RI/MA is densely wooded...

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Maybe but alot of CT/RI/MA is densely wooded...

You’re going to have issues anywhere you see 90+ mph gusts for an extended period of time unless the power lines are moved underground. But New England isn’t a third world country. I remember seeing crews from Arkansas here after Sandy.

• Like 3