Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

Just now, smokeybandit said:

That site shows DAB as being closed for a week, too. 

I wonder if that's just some default end date they put when the airport hasn't yet announced when it's reopening.

I don't think so. It updated not long ago with the extension to the 7th. It was scheduled to re-open tomorrow at noon I think. 

There will be fatalities on Sanibel.  Especially if the causeway failed early there was no way for anyone to get out or to survive that surge.  I heard the water was up to roofs. Watched the Gov. presser and he said he knows of 2 deaths but didn't say where.  He tried to walk back what Lee county sheriff said, but Gov said the first responders went out before they were suppose to, so that statement was a bit telling.  It's going to be a very long and sad day,  I fear.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Here in north-central NC, the wind is already whipping from the pressure gradient w/ the high to our north and Ian to the south. Akin to a nor'easter approaching. Can't recall a tropical storm with temps in the 50s before, but here we are.

Flying into CLT in an hour.  Should be fun confirming your observation in real time.  Lol.

Happy to see the rainfall forecast continues to decline this weekend across the piedmont and foothills of NC.  Need rain, not floods. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Flying into CLT in an hour.  Should be fun confirming your observation in real time.  Lol.

Happy to see the rainfall forecast continues to decline this weekend across the piedmont and foothills of NC.  Need rain, not floods. 

That is a bright spot, we've been in a borderline drought this fall, so we can handle a good amount of rain.

Checked in with some friends who live in Cape Coral...no power or internet obviously but they live far enough off the river I guess that their canal did not flood the street. They live on SE Tenth Ave. Carport is destroyed though which probably led to some car damage but they are alive and well so thankful for that

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

NC piedmont will definitely have some good gusts tomorrow afternoon/evenining. The trends continued to push it further east up the coastline. Combining this with the HP will make for a tight pressure gradient up here. Should be an interesting day tomorrow.

Looks like most models have consolidated around a Charleston hit.

Fd0oQAdWAAIMqQZ?format=jpg&name=small

1 minute ago, hawkeye_wx said:

It turned out that some of those early worst-case Euro runs from days ago, which showed Ian turning up into sw Florida, exiting into the Atlantic, then phasing with the tail end of the eastern US trough and moving into the Carolinas as a strong system, were totally correct.

I'm sorry, are you from the future?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, Clyde said:

East of Orlando here, yard flooded, water 6 inches to a foot deep everywhere, septic backed up. I don’t live in a flood zone so can’t imagine what it looks like in those places. We got 11 inches of rain with Irma and had no standing water so this is quite something. Oh, no wind damage to note and didn’t lose power which is a minor miracle since I typically do for pretty much anything stronger than a deer fart.

Orlando got hit hard. I received 14.13", almost 6" just in that band last night between midnight and 3 AM. Had to help neighbors as water entered their homes. The flooding in Orlando is ridiculous. We are now pushing 12 hours of tropical storm force winds and gusts to 60. Ian was a beast in FL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just want to share the NWS 5 day path archive because it perfectly captures just how "good" the NHC was with Ian's track. The actual landfall point was in the cone from day 1. Anyone that wants to blame the NWS/NHC for their lack of preparedness is just looking for a scapegoat.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/IAN_graphics.php?product=5day_cone_no_line_and_wind

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3