Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

35 minutes ago, Hotair said:

You are correct. I shouldn’t have said underwater.  They’ve been crushed with high winds but the storm surge is not what fort Myers is experiencing 

edit:  this is the video I had based my statement on.  It claimed to be from punta gorda 

https://twitter.com/YaCelacanto/status/1575247806889136143?s=20&t=10p9wRsEoX2GAPuBpEq5IQ

Im so confused by this post. Storm surge is exactly what Fort Myers is experiencing. Punta Gorda got blasted by those backside eyewall winds but looks like they avoided significant surge. 

Also that video you posted has “City of Naples” written on the side of the door of the fire truck. People need to stop trusting these twitter posts from random accounts without verification. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Any surge reports from Sarasota? Family there and I can’t reach, they’re on the water. 

Haven’t seen much from there. Looking at obs winds were out of the N or NE all day so surge shouldn’t of been an issue. They got some hurricane force gusts however.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSRQ.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Think they dodged the worst, but still had some bad weather and flooding for sure.

2 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Haven’t seen much from there. Looking at obs winds were out of the N or NE all day so surge shouldn’t of been an issue. They got some hurricane force gusts however.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSRQ.html

Thanks - I knew they had strong winds all day. I got video from them around 11 am of the ocean being sucked away from their dock (it was WILD) but nothing since and it appears cell service is dead for them.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Thanks - I knew they had strong winds all day. I got video from them around 11 am of the ocean being sucked away from their dock (it was WILD) but nothing since and it appears cell service is dead for them.  

Yeah I think cell service is tanked in that whole corridor! But pretty certain they made out okay!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sakau2007 said:

why does the nhc overstate the wind intensity of these storms?

up until a few minutes ago, they had this thing as 115mph cat 3. that would imply gusts to 125-130+. where are these winds occurring? i haven’t seen any observations close to that in many hours.  i understand you aren’t necessarily going to capture the absolute strongest wind, but i would think you would see sustained winds somewhere over 100, right? 

i’m skeptical sustained winds were ever close to 150 at landfall, but whatever. 

You are rarely ever going to see those measurements on land for many reasons. Most weather instruments fail before being able to reach those speeds, there often isn't weather stations in the areas that get the highest winds, and friction of land slows wind so always will be highest over water. NHC wasn't wrong with their intensity, you just won't see many reports of those high end winds but the damage will reflect it. There wasn't a ton with Michael up in that cat 4-5 range but look what it did....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

You are rarely ever going to see those measurements on land for many reasons. Most weather instruments fail before being able to reach those speeds, there often isn't weather stations in the areas that get the highest winds, and friction of land slows wind so always will be highest over water. NHC wasn't wrong with their intensity, you just won't see many reports of those high end winds but the damage will reflect it. There wasn't a ton with Michael up in that cat 4-5 range. 

that’s kinda my point. i get the idea of friction reducing wind speed… but the reality is this thing is now well inland...

and i’ll partially buy the reasoning that equipment fails (although over the last decade the number of storm chasers putting themselves in the worst areas makes me even somewhat skeptical of that) but what about now? where are 100+ mph sustained winds occurring? i doubt anywhere. gusts into the 80s or 90s? sure. sustained at 105 after 9pm? i doubt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 4

2 minutes ago, sakau2007 said:

that’s kinda my point. i get the idea of friction reducing wind speed… but the reality is this thing is now well inland...

and i’ll partially buy the reasoning that equipment fails (although over the last decade the number of storm chasers putting themselves in the worst areas makes me even somewhat skeptical of that) but what about now? where are 100+ mph sustained winds occurring? i doubt anywhere. gusts into the 80s or 90s? sure. sustained at 105 after 9pm? i doubt. 

Unfortunately once over land recon can't fly into Ian so they use satellite estimates and models that estimate weakening so is it perfect? No. Could Ian be weaker than this? Yes. But is it still a powerful and dangerous hurricane? Definitely. That nw eyewall is still pounding many cities with high end winds and extreme flooding rain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wannabehippie said:

10:00 PM EDT Wed Sep 28
Moving: NNE at 8 mph
Min pressure: 968 mb
Max sustained: 100 mph

This is pretty impressive

Tropical storm conditions are occurring over a wide swath of the 
Florida peninsula.  An automated station at the Airglades Airport, 
located west of Lake Okeechobee recently reported sustained winds of 
42 mph (68 km/h) with a gust to 56 mph (90 km/h).  A WeatherFlow 
station located at Skyway Beach in St. Petersburg, Florida recently