Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

24 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Punta Gorda was destroyed by Charley in 2004.  It is all brand new construction to latest building codes but seems it’s now under water.  It’s gonna take a lot of flood insurance money to get those residents rebuilding yet again 

I don't see any evidence of Punta Gorda underwater based on live video throughout the event.  The winds have not aligned to push water up Charlotte Harbor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobbutts said:

I don't see any evidence of Punta Gorda underwater based on live video throughout the event.  The winds have not aligned to push water up Charlotte Harbor.

Charlotte Harbor lucked out. Maybe the eastern shore got hit with surge as the eye pulled away but the big surge looks to be from Naples up to Sanibel. The major impact for Punta Gorda was wind, and I’m sure they got rocked. I wonder if it was worse than Charley. Probably lasted longer. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

You are correct. I shouldn’t have said underwater.  They’ve been crushed with high winds but the storm surge is not what fort Myers is experiencing 

edit:  this is the video I had based my statement on.  It claimed to be from punta gorda 

https://twitter.com/YaCelacanto/status/1575247806889136143?s=20&t=10p9wRsEoX2GAPuBpEq5IQ

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Charlotte Harbor lucked out. Maybe the eastern shore got hit with surge as the eye pulled away but the big surge looks to be from Naples up to Sanibel. The major impact for Punta Gorda was wind, and I’m sure they got rocked. I wonder if it was worse than Charley. Probably lasted longer. 

They did luck out as far as surge.  As "JM 1220" said the wind never aligned to push water up into the Harbor / Bay.  So surge for that area was on the manageable side.  Wind on the other hand was unrelenting as they were in the eye wall (NW eye wall especially) for a prolonged period.  Like you said worse surge was from Boca Grande, Captiva, Sanibel on south to Fort Myers and Naples area.  Big surge there.

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Really curious to know what’s going on in Tampa Bay Area right now. Have to imagine some severe coastal flooding all along the e south sections of the bay with the persistent northerly fetch.

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

I believe the biggest story will be rainfall. But the Tampa Bay Area is going to be right on the cut off for the heaviest. South/east sections get hit hard, north/west not bad at all.

Primary impacts will likely be downed trees and power outages.  50K offline so far in city of Tampa, more across Hillsborough.

37 minutes ago, Hotair said:

I left my home in South Tampa and evacuated to Lakeland. The cam videos of my home do not show more than gusty wind and light rain all afternoon. no flooding.  

Good decision to get out.  Our webcams went off line and power is out in our South Tampa home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Highest surge so far 11 feet. 

It looks like NASA made the right decision moving the Artemis rocket back to the Vehicle Assembly Building.   If Ivan stays on the current course it looks to exit the east coast around Melbourne. That would put Cape Canaveral in the remnants of the north eye wall. I don’t think that rocket was designed to withstand that kind of wind and rain. 

• Like 4

Just now, schoeppeya said:

Severe studios cam there was that elevation and was submerged pretty early on.

The surge would be that height above ground level plus the height above normal water level. So if a location is 13 feet above normal water level, 10 feet above ground level, and got flooded the surge was at least 13 feet. The surge is the height above the normal water level at that time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CNY_WX said:

It looks like NASA made the right decision moving the Artemis rocket back to the Vehicle Assembly Building.   If Ivan stays on the current course it looks to exit the east coast around Melbourne. That would put Cape Canaveral in the remnants of the north eye wall. I don’t think that rocket was designed to withstand that kind of wind and rain. 

Ivan? 
Plus no rocket should get hit with lightning, which is a possibility as well. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hotair said:

You are correct. I shouldn’t have said underwater.  They’ve been crushed with high winds but the storm surge is not what fort Myers is experiencing 

edit:  this is the video I had based my statement on.  It claimed to be from punta gorda 

https://twitter.com/YaCelacanto/status/1575247806889136143?s=20&t=10p9wRsEoX2GAPuBpEq5IQ

I've been watching some chasers all day and don't recall that kind of flooding. In fact they were showing all the blow-out tides.  I did see pics/vids similar to that for Naples and Ft. Meyers.  Punta Gorda is getting the heavy rains, flooding , and some surge in the low-lying/beach areas now.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The surge would be that height above ground level plus the height above normal water level. So if a location is 13 feet above normal water level, 10 feet above ground level, and got flooded the surge was at least 13 feet. The surge is the height above the normal water level at that time. 

Yes that is was what I was saying. 

10 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

I know a couple who lives in Fort Myers Beach. She and her husband live on the highest part of the island and did not evacuate. Could they have survived such a surge?

We just heard from our relatives in Cape Coral and they are shaken but OK.  Their neighborhood is flooded but knee deep not head deep. However, I am uncertain if water levels are still rising in that area or not?

• Like 1