• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

Awhile ago Cape Coral Yauht Club 106 sustained gusting to 140mph.  That would be on the backside with a north wind I would guess.  That yacht club is right across from Ft Myers.   The damage that is occurring in the Punta Gorda and Ft Myers on the backside must be catastrophic.

• Like 4

That NW eye wall is just unforgiving - hence the strong gusts over 120 mph still coming in.  NW of the center is where you are going to see the worst wind damage.  Southeast of and near the center is where storm surge damage will dominate.  Not going to be pretty when dawn breaks tomorrow.

39 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Really curious to know what’s going on in Tampa Bay Area right now. Have to imagine some severe coastal flooding all along the e south sections of the bay with the persistent northerly fetch.

I left my home in South Tampa and evacuated to Lakeland. The cam videos of my home do not show more than gusty wind and light rain all afternoon. no flooding.  

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Pine Island will be inhabitable.. Punta Gorda getting absolutely destroyed. 

Punta Gorda was destroyed by Charley in 2004.  It is all brand new construction to latest building codes but seems it’s now under water.  It’s gonna take a lot of flood insurance money to get those residents rebuilding yet again 

• Like 1

Not too surprising the western side was strongest. Even since the weekend the models indicated the strongest winds were going to be on the west side. Obviously something that may helped too is the eye was so big that while the eastern eye wall was moving onshore the system was able to remain steady-state (or slightly intensify) as it was able to continue feeding in warm/moist air. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Pine Island will be inhabitable.. Punta Gorda getting absolutely destroyed. 

Access will be an issue but per the person I know on pine right now, their images don't show anything like the devastation elsewhere. They benefited from missing the storm surge further south and then by the time the western eyewall passed through, it was weaker with the worst winds further north. The guy is an idiot for staying there, but from what I saw so far, if there's a lucky way to be bullseyed by a hurricane, then that's it. Much better than being on the northern end of the eye or in the storm surge peak.

2 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Punta Gorda was destroyed by Charley in 2004.  It is all brand new construction to latest building codes but seems it’s now under water.  It’s gonna take a lot of flood insurance money to get those residents rebuilding yet again 

Having to do it once is bad enough but twice you have to be a special kind of person.  I personally could not imagine it.  Having lived through Sandy up here was bad enough and that was nothing compared to this in my area away from the shore.  Just froze in the dark for 9 days and I was about ready to lose my mind.

• Like 1

Hurricane Ian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092022
700 PM EDT Wed Sep 28 2022

...7 PM EDT HURRICANE IAN POSITION UPDATE...
...IAN BATTERING THE FLORIDA PENINSULA WITH CATASTROPHIC STORM 
SURGE, WINDS, AND FLOODING...

A NOAA National Ocean Service station near Ft. Myers recently 
reported a water level greater than 7 ft (2.1 m) Mean Higher High 
Water (MHHW).  

A University of Florida Coastal Monitoring Program wind tower 
recently reported sustained winds of 64 mph (103 km/h) with a wind 
gust of 104 mph (167 km/h).

A private weather station near Port Charlotte reported a sustained 
wind of 115 mph (185 km/h) with a wind gust of 132 mph (212 km/h) 
as Ian made landfall on the mainland Florida peninsula a little 
more than 2 hours ago.
  • Like 2