Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

3 minutes ago, Joe4alb said:

Just something to consider. If Ian dumps as much rain as forecasted, this may not weaken as much as we would normally expect as it moves across FL(seen this happen in the past). This could have serious implications for the GA/SC/NC coast down the line. 

The brown ocean effect won't save Ian from all that dry air that it's going to wrap into its circulation later today.  We should actually see Ian weaken faster than normal when compared to other landfalling hurricanes in Florida.

17 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

Recon is inbound and will likely catch the western eyewall. I was dead wrong about intensity last night, so I'll sit this one out. 

You, me and many others.  TPC was wrong but in the other direction.  Intensity forecasting as I said a few days back is still the holy grail of tropical forecasting.  I was uncertain if Ian would fully recover from the ERC.  Sometimes storms do and sometimes they do not.  I was counting on some shear to keep Ian below the TPC 130 mph max intensity.  Was thinking 110-120 mph at landfall.  Dead wrong.  I did mention yesterday though that the ERC started at the wrong time and that potential did exist for full recovery, it fully recovered and exceeded!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This webcam is still live on Sanibel.  I am surprised that the visibility is so good and few trees down.  They have to be in the eyewall.  https://www.mysanibel.com/live-street-cams?utm_campaign=SanCapChamber&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=SanCapChamber

Still on the "weaker part" of eyewall. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This webcam is still live on Sanibel.  I am surprised that the visibility is so good and few trees down.  They have to be in the eyewall.  https://www.mysanibel.com/live-street-cams?utm_campaign=SanCapChamber&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=SanCapChamber

Which one are you getting to load?  

4 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Quote Tweet

Dave Malkoff

@malkoff

· 34m

Crazy #HurricaneHunt ! Our @USAFReserve 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron just landed. We hit hail, massive turbulence in the eye wall that dropped us 1000+ feet and saw #hurricaneIan rapidly intensity. It was NOT even calm inside the eye.

edit: they suffered some damage to their plane in the storm 

We forget it is dangerous work.  Especially in something like Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think they have now gone offline?  Stream unavailable.

7 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m just catching up, so sorry if it’s been covered but how far inland are hurricane gusts expected? All the way to Orlando?

I'm near MCO. Local news said center to come through around Kissimmee/St. Cloud. Called for possible sustained 50-70 with gusts to 90-95.  

• Like 1