Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

55 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Sounds like hyperbole, but an apt metaphor is a tsunami. Nature abhors a vacuum.

It really is, there's a lot of video footage to be found of storm surge with some of the strong typhoons that comes in exactly like a tsunami.  The backside of an eyewall can push a tremendous storm surge on these intense storms.  There is no "safe side" in Ian's eyewall.

• Sad 1

The water would only really come back in like a surge if the wind switches direction to piling the water back in. Unfortunately for places like Charlotte Harbor, that’s where that mound of water is going, along with wherever the east eyewall hits. Tampa will still have a lot of problems from the 20” rain that might be falling there. 

Don’t forget the 150mph winds in Tampa Bay area

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Hotair said:

Eric Webb  

@webberweather

A recent dropsonde into the western semi-circle of Ian’s eyewall has generally confirmed these 166 kt (190 mph) winds measured by the TDR earlier this morning Wow.

This is misleading by Webb, doesn't specify that these are above-surface winds

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, geddyweather said:

That Sanibel camera at Lindgren & East Gulf is horrifying. You could see the road when I started watching 10 minutes ago, now all submerged and rising fast.

The surge will come in very rapidly with the eyewall coming onshore. The much higher wind will pile in the water. Soon that same surge is probably coming for Cape Coral as their wind increases/changes direction to more onshore. 

• Like 1

First extreme wind warning just issued:

An extreme wind warning is in effect for Cape Coral FL, Bonita Springs FL, Estero FL until 12:45 PM EDT for extremely dangerous hurricane winds. Treat these imminent extreme winds as if a tornado was approaching and move immediately to an interior room or shelter NOW!.

FdwAwRLVIAAyHp7?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/NWSTampaBay/status/1575134808707018752?s=20&t=ykf9_kXdUYDtrAeW2TQR1g

• Like 1

The frictional convergence enhancement is definitely in play. I wish there was a plane in there, likely an unquestionable Cat 5 right now, if we had the data.

That eastern jog is bringing the inner region of constant spiral bands (and also this region is the extent of the CDO) very close to the SE FL metro areas. Currently these 'inner bands' extend as far as the Everglades in Broward. 

I think it'll get here. In the meantime, constant 20-40 mph gusts even without any rain. 

Further, the weather could get quite crazy in SE FL when this hits land and angular momentum spreads out rapidly. Angular momentum spreading out should come in the form of enhanced spiral band activity.

Also, it is a clear and hot day in Cuba, and the CAPE from there is being advected right into South Florida.

So although things have been quiet for several hours, I don't think it will be quiet for long here, and this has strong potential to be a memorable hurricane event in SE FL. 

P.S. I am only 130 miles from the eyewall of a cat 5 hurricane. it's crazy to think about. 

• Like 9
  • Weenie 1