Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

38 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Looking at the IR meso loop, the presentation peaked about 30 minutes ago.  Since then, some of the colder tops and lightning have faded a bit.  Perhaps Ian has reached its max.

Outflow is restricted on the SW side and shear is evedint on IR loop. However, only 4-6 hours to go and storm is thus far doing a good job of fighting it off. Maybe just some slight weakening until landfall but either way it’s a large storm with a large wind field and the impacts are going to be major.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MattPetrulli said:

Have to assume an extreme wind warning is coming very soon. Eyewall knocking on the door of the coast next few hours. Also frictional convergence should tighten up the eyewall and close it off again.

Yep, eyewall looks to be only 15 miles off the beach which is where the extremely strong surge and wind would be. Only a few hours away from Captiva on north. 

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I noticed the GFS and euro yesterday had the strongest 925mb winds  on the northwest side too.

I expect the St Pete area to have issues with winds more so than Tampa too due to the NE flow over the bay and subsequently less frictional impact.  I’ve noticed before PIE SPG airports can gust 10-20kts higher in NE flow with TSs making landfall to their south.  Wouldn’t be shocked with the NW eyewall if there are still gusts to 80-90mph there 

22 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Outflow is restricted on the SW side and shear is evedint on IR loop. However, only 4-6 hours to go and storm is thus far doing a good job of fighting it off. Maybe just some slight weakening until landfall but either way it’s a large storm with a large wind field and the impacts are going to be major.

That's part of what I missed in expecting it to "only" come in as a cat 3. Its easy to lose sight of how impervious these things can grow to be to their surroundings.

Amazing sequence over the past 12-24 hours....hope people got the hell out.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That's part of what I missed in expecting it to "only" come in as a cat 3. Its easy to lose sight of how impervious these things can grow to be to their surroundings.

Amazing sequence over the past 12-24 hours....hope people got the hell out.

Intensity forecast have always been a wildcard for the models. In this case, the dry air won’t come in time to weaken this before landfall. 

Lately, it seems we have had more hurricanes doing this 48/24 hr rapid intensification to really raise the ceiling.

• Like 1