• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

Is anyone else not gawking over the radar/satellite presentation tonight? I know it’s a strong storm but it’s SW side is nowhere near as symmetrical as earlier, it has a ragged eye (remnants of ERC), and it looks like a dry slot is developing east of the core. Satellite is starting to show outflow being restricted to the west and some asymmetrical shape to the CDO. IMO, Ian has peaked. I don’t see why a 5kt increase wouldnt be possible if the eye fully closes but I’m seeing a system that looks past prime this hour

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Is anyone else not gawking over the radar/satellite presentation tonight? I know it’s a strong storm but it’s SW side is nowhere near as symmetrical as earlier, it has a ragged eye (remnants of ERC), and it looks like a dry slot is developing east of the core. Satellite is starting to show outflow being restricted to the west and some asymmetrical shape to the CDO. IMO, Ian has peaked. I don’t see why a 5kt increase would g be possible if the eye fully closes but I’m seeing a system that looks past prime this hour

Eyeball replacement cycle occurred and you are worried about 5 knots when the storm surge just rose 2-4 feet in Marco Island?  

The IKE has increased and will continue to do so until landfall. I don’t think 7MPH means much now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Is anyone else not gawking over the radar/satellite presentation tonight? I know it’s a strong storm but it’s SW side is nowhere near as symmetrical as earlier, it has a ragged eye (remnants of ERC), and it looks like a dry slot is developing east of the core. Satellite is starting to show outflow being restricted to the west and some asymmetrical shape to the CDO. IMO, Ian has peaked. I don’t see why a 5kt increase wouldnt be possible if the eye fully closes but I’m seeing a system that looks past prime this hour

Yeah I'm skeptical of any major increases in strength. Esp now that it has increased in size. The pressure drops later could go more into expanding wind field instead of strengthening it, at least initially. Not saying 130 isn't achievable but thinking 120-125 is more likely. 

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

kyocZS6.gif

I'm not sure why there are comments on the radar appearance. Looks to me like Ian is about to close off its eye again and the band heading north east looks formidable.

Is it just me or is it heading just west of north?  It has been a long day and I may be seeing things. 

may be just directly north over the entire radar presentation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

kyocZS6.gif

I'm not sure why there are comments on the radar appearance. Looks to me like Ian is about to close off its eye again and the band heading north east looks formidable.

My comment is based on the dry slot just east of the inner core, the lack of anything on the backside, and the restricted outflow on satellite. I am by no means saying Ian is weakening, but these are all signs of the storm having peaked or being near peak. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

kyocZS6.gif

This is one of the healthiest looking eyewalls I have seen on Radar in quite some time.  In fact, this may rank up there as one of the better ones I have seen on radar period. 

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree its questionable whether the winds will ramp up much, but I don't think it really matters, unfortunately. That surge is going to be devastating. The wobble north may be good news for Fort Myers, anyway.

The winds definitely ramped up  based on radar presentation.  Probably can confirm higher velocities on radar scope compared to 2 hrs ago.  Clearly making a run at cat4 with a large eye

18 minutes ago, AnthonyEC said:

Is it just me or is it heading just west of north?  It has been a long day and I may be seeing things. 

may be just directly north over the entire radar presentation. 

The 1AM NHC position actually ticked west by 0.1 vs the prior updates. After being at 83.0 at 9PM, it was at 82.9 10 PM-12:30 AM and then the 1AM had it back at 83.0. So, no eastward component of motion each of the last 3 hours and no net east component of motion in four hours.

• Like 2

BULLETIN
Hurricane Ian Intermediate Advisory Number 21A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092022
200 AM EDT Wed Sep 28 2022

...IAN MOVING CLOSER TO THE WEST COAST OF FLORIDA...
...EXPECTED TO CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE, CATASTROPHIC
WINDS AND FLOODING IN THE FLORIDA PENINSULA...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.2N 83.0W
ABOUT 95 MI...155 KM SW OF NAPLES FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...953 MB...28.14 INCHES