Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The EWRC that I commented earlier on was in terms of size. Many times you see it constrict a bit but larger than the original eye. I feel like we are seeing this as we speak.

I feel like a good rule of thumb is the eye ends up about halfway between the size of the inner and outer when the process begins. Just from observing these happen and being rather fascinated by the process. Also I've noticed there's often a stubborn little bit of the original eyewall left that takes a while to die.

• Like 5

Just now, olafminesaw said:

You can also see the process take place here, it's kinda clear it needs to contract some more before any chance of strengthening:

https://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2022_09L/web/displayGifsBy12hr_05.html

It actually needs to close off the south quad. Once that happens it is game on

Just now, olafminesaw said:

You can also see the process take place here, it's kinda clear it needs to contract some more before any chance of strengthening:

https://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimtc/2022_09L/web/displayGifsBy12hr_05.html

It has everything in its favor to do so though. nighttime, little to no shear and bath water 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

What site do you get these on? Been trying to find it. I just tried address under picture and it didn't work

https://www.metoc.navy.mil/fnmoc/tropical.html 

Click on the Satellite Imagery of Tropical Cyclones link. It often gives a "not secure" warning, just as a heads up. Probably one of the more comprehensive pages for TC information

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, NYC10023 said:

It has everything in its favor to do so though. nighttime, little to no shear and bath water 

I thought shear was supposed to ramp up big time by late tonight? If Ian doesn’t close off the new eyewall by then, the shear is going to inject a ton of dry air and erode away the southern periphery of the hurricane. Or so I would think…

Just now, Intensewind002 said:

I thought shear was supposed to ramp up big time by late tonight? If Ian doesn’t close off the new eyewall by then, the shear is going to inject a ton of dry air and erode away the southern periphery of the hurricane. Or so I would think…

Correct.

15kts by 15z tomorrow and probably 20-25kts by landfall.

• Like 1

Lots of tornadic action from the outer bands crossing into South Florida. I don’t recall hearing of this high level of tornado activity either when Ian approached Caymans or Cuba.   Does anyone know what seems to be more favorable in S FL that gives rise to tornado genesis? 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Hotair said:

Lots of tornadic action from the outer bands crossing into South Florida. I don’t recall hearing of this high level of tornado activity either when Ian approached Caymans or Cuba.   Does anyone know what seems to be more favorable in S FL that gives rise to tornado genesis? 

Daytime heating boosting that 0-3KM CAPE helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hotair said:

This is just a total amateur guess but could be simply because of land area which allows us to know they are there. The islands are tiny compared to Florida so the odds of a tornado hitting one is very low. Maybe there were just as many tornadoes out in the water but we never knew since we had no radar or people to see them. If a tornado forms in the middle of the ocean and no one was around to see it, did it make a noise?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

By the time shear affects this, EWRC will be complete 

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1