Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Someone from Tampa would know this but wouldn't a landfall just south be a problem for places like eastern coastal St Pete and Pinellas point be vulnerable as a E-NE fetch of 50 plus knots pushes water across the bay...obviously you would not be piling water in advance from the Gulf but I imagine a nasty 3-4 foot surge could still happen

Tampa Bay has an average depth of only 12 feet so there is relatively very little water to pile up compared to all the water that can be pushed the other way from the GOM. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Someone from Tampa would know this but wouldn't a landfall just south be a problem for places like eastern coastal St Pete and Pinellas point be vulnerable as a E-NE fetch of 50 plus knots pushes water across the bay...obviously you would not be piling water in advance from the Gulf but I imagine a nasty 3-4 foot surge could still happen

Yes indeed.  You've got that sustained fetch for 24+ hours, layered with 20+ inches of rain that has nowhere to go.  The main rivers are dumping all that into the bays.  I'm on an east facing shoreline of Hillsborough Bay so I'm going to have an n=1 scenario play out.  

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Hi SnowGoose.  I live in NE St. Pete.  5 blocks from the bay. I wouldn't be too worried about that. A 3-4 surge here wouldn't be a huge deal as we've experienced that a number of times over the years.  The normal flooding places like Shore Acres would have problems and some homes would be damaged but not too much and not something we haven't already seen before.  Overall that would be a huge win for our area compared to any landfall to our north.

4 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

Yes indeed.  You've got that sustained fetch for 24+ hours, layered with 20+ inches of rain that has nowhere to go.  The main rivers are dumping all that into the bays.  I'm on an east facing shoreline of Hillsborough Bay so I'm going to have an n=1 scenario play out.  

If we got that kind of rain on top of 4' of water, then Shore Acres would be screwed.  They would definitely have water in houses.  My kids go to school over there and I have to drive through saltwater on any high tide this time of year.

New to Florida, but people keep telling me this is similar to Charley...

Really tough to compare this to Charley IMO. Charley was a rapidly intensifying micro cane with a very small diameter of greatest winds. I went through the ‘core’ in East Orlando and saw pretty significant damage from a storm that had been over land for 12+ hours, but my family on the other side of I-4 (about 20 miles away) only saw 25-30mph winds.

I think Ian is going to be larger with more impact over a broader area, although maybe not as intense as Charley.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clyde said:

Really tough to compare this to Charley IMO. Charley was a rapidly intensifying micro cane with a very small diameter of greatest winds. I went through the ‘core’ in East Orlando and saw pretty significant damage from a storm that had been over land for 12+ hours, but my family on the other side of I-4 (about 20 miles away) only saw 25-30mph winds.

I think Ian is going to be larger with more impact over a broader area, although maybe not as intense as Charley.

Agree. Very small and very fast. Charley still produced Orlando's largest wind ever recorded. 106 mph. Shows how fast the storm moved from S. Florida.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Tampa Bay has an average depth of only 12 feet so there is relatively very little water to pile up compared to all the water that can be pushed the other way from the GOM. 

Wow....that is crazy. Its like a giant swimming pool. I can't believe that its that shallow...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man structure in tact for sure. Cuba did little damage.

Yeah sometimes it hurts (Gustav 2008) but other times it makes no difference (Lili 2002, Charley 2004). It seems that Ian has continued to get better organized. In fact, the symmetry looks better than it did 6-8 hours ago.

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

12z hurricane models. Looks like a decent interior rainfall setup for the SE.

It looks like we're now seeing strong consensus on the west coast landfall zone, but I do still wonder if the medium range will shift more eastward and put the center into the Atlantic briefly. 

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It looks like we're now seeing strong consensus on the west coast landfall zone, but I do still wonder if the medium range will shift more eastward and put the center into the Atlantic briefly. 

Was wondering the same thing. If it pulls back over water, even briefly, would argue the freshwater inland flooding threat for the Carolinas increases.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Was wondering the same thing. If it pulls back over water, even briefly, would argue the freshwater inland flooding threat for the Carolinas increases.

Agree. There's already going to be significant issues with the fetch and places like Charleston are extremely vulnerable even when there isn't a major storm. I'd still be watching this closely in coastal GA and SC, and I know that folks like @GaWx are all over it.  

18 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

I wish I had a faster connection to the Internet. 130mb to complete download.
GOES-East ABI Mesoscale 1 - 0.64 um - Band 2 (nasa.gov)

One-minute updates, detailed structure of the eye. Can see the stadium effect and the hot towers.
Behold the Power, WOW  

indeed, that is a massive beast! Thanks for the link.

• Weenie 1